The Metamorphoses

Opening her eyes Chae wasn't surprised that she could see clearly. But what did stun her was how light she felt. It was as if she was her magi-energy and she relished it. Seeing the hideous flesh eater above her she flicked her fingers knowingly and orange streaks clipped to it. Snapping her fingers, the shadow burst away. Getting up, she blinked her eyes as she gripped the bed sheets. The screams were still howling and Chae stood up to put an end to it.

The bright flash dissipated and soldiers were finally able to see clearly. When they did they saw that the shadows were floating in one position. They murmured amongst themselves about what could be happening.

Copper had also realised the odd behaviour of the flesh eaters. Twisting his fingers, he willed them to continue eating but they didn't move. Frowning he tried again but it failed. There were still some villagers who needed finishing off. Murmuring the necessary words Copper waited for the flesh eaters to continue but they didn't.

"What's happening?" he said out loud and some of the soldiers were stunned to hear the force in his voice which was usually mild. He willed the flesh eaters again, but it appeared something was outweighing his spells.

Turning to the primary flesh eater that was permanently attached to him, he finally saw light orange streaks on it. Reaching out, he couldn't move it off. What the fuck? He thought and at that same moment, his soldiers began to scream.

Turning to where they were looking Copper's mouth dropped at the intensity of the magi-energy he was met with. It brought him to his knees. Struggling to lift his head, he wondered if his eyes were playing with him. A black lion with vividly orange eyes was walking towards them. The soldiers screamed in complete fear. Dropping their weapons, they ran away but orange streaks latched on to some of their legs and ripped them apart.

Shaking his head, Copper worked to fight the magi off him, but it was so immense. Suffocating, it felt like it was taking his breath away. Clawing at his throat, he tried to breathe. The screams of the villagers stopped and that of their attackers took over.

The orange streaks laced on all the shadows and burst them away. The surviving villagers couldn't believe what they were seeing. The lion continued to approach him as the soldiers and other flesh eaters were killed viciously.

General Tulip hid away in the bushes absolutely stupefied to see the little girl calmly walking through the road of bodies. Eyes blazing like the sun on fire, and the orange-white strings emanating from her like rays chasing shadows. And it did. Tulip covered her mouth as the streaks coming from the girl latched on to different shadows all at once and made them vanish.

Behind trees on the opposite side, Kali was holding his hand over Sowon's mouth as they watched Chae perform a magi spell he'd never seen nor heard of in his life. The flesh eaters were killed swiftly and the soldiers as well. Kali couldn't fathom what he was seeing. A child. A mere child was making a massacre look effortless.

Copper continued to struggle to release himself but soon Chae had reached him. The lion was now in front of him and as he gazed into its orange blazed eyes he blinked and it transformed into a young girl. But the eyes remained the same.

"Wh....what ar..are you?" he released breathless but she ignored him as she willed the small bit of her energy she'd let out to return into her. The orange streaks knitted together and flashed back into Chae's chest.

She held out her hand and silently reiterated a hymn. Copper could feel the magi weight feeling far lighter and knew this was his chance to attack. He willed his flesh eater to attack her. But as he whipped his head, he saw that his own shadow was keeping him from moving. Horrified he willed the flesh eater again but instead, it moved to devour him. Screeching echoed everywhere as the shadow ate him up. Once it was done Chae snapped her fingers and the flesh eater burst away.

Falling down on her back in exhaustion, droplets began to pour down from the sky. And Chae blinked her eyes slowly, taking in the beauty of actually seeing her first rainfall and how necessary its cleansing felt on her skin.