Chapter 1

The voice was like a soft caress against Credence's skin, softer than Graves could ever be. Graves had always pretended to be kind, Credence had ignored it, hoping it was just him imagining things.

This British man, Newt, was different. He was kind, Credence could tell he wasn't forcing kindness, he approached slowly. Asked Credence if it was okay if he came closer, no one, not even Graves had asked him if it was okay if they came closer. No one asked for his opinion.

Graves had still taken care of Credence, given him kind contact, healed him when he was hurt, because of Mary Lou. But he also hit him when all he needed was a soothing touch and a kind heart, Graves hadn't given him that. He never had, and Credence doesn't think he ever could.

Graves approaches and attacks Newt, spell after spell being cast at him. Newt casts spells back, but Graves is too powerful and deflects each one. Newt casts a glance behind him, making sure Credence isn't in the line of fire, that's all Graves needs, he casts a spell that lands Newt on his back.

Credence backs away, unsure of what to do. Graves shoots spell after spell at Newt, who is unable to defend himself. It bounces off the tracks and hits Newt's body, where he twitches and makes small hurt noises, Newt tries to raise his wand, but can't in time before the next spell is cast and hits him. Credence hates this, doesn't want Graves to hurt anyone else, Newt is good, he tried to protect Credence from Graves.

Credence turns his back, unable to watch Newt's body wither in pain. Anger courses through his veins, and black wisps of the Obscurial fly around him, it wants to hurt Graves. The way Graves is hurting Newt. Credence wants to protect Newt, stop him from hurting. Stop Graves in general, all he does is cause pain, and Credence doesn't understand how someone could be so cruel.

The Obscurial lashes out, Graves falls to his knees, wand almost falling from his grasp.

"Credence." He whispers and Credence doesn't know if that's awe or fear. It's probably both, but the Obscurial fights. Graves Disapparates out of the way, and Newt has no other choice but to as well.

Credence doesn't want to hurt Newt, but he can't control the Obscurial inside him. It lashes out, hating seeing others hurting, especially one as kind as Newt. Newt who reached out to him, even though Credence could've hurt him, could've killed him. Credence wants to protect Newt, and the Obscurial can do just that.

The Obscurial unleashes itself, spinning out of control in rage, the wizards Disapparate to get away from him, to escape his destruction. He has Graves cornered, all he has to do is come down and hurt him, protecting Newt from Graves.

"Credence." Newt says softly and Credence pauses and the black mist that is the Obscurial slows, listening.

"Credence, don't do this. Don't hurt him like he hurt you." Newt exclaims and Credence calms, he doesn't have to hurt anyone. Newt's safe, and so is he. They're both okay, and the Obscurial can stop now, can let Credence go see Newt and accept his help.

The Obscurial seems to have taking a liking to Newt however, it doesn't give Credence control back, but moves slowly towards Newt, keeping a part of it's attention on Graves, making sure he doesn't sneak up on either of them. The black tendrils wrap around one of Newt's wrists and another touches his cheek, Newt doesn't flinch, or even move.

Newt just smiles up at him, and let's the Obscurial turn him over and check for wounds. Newt doesn't even look afraid, he knows the power Credence holds, but doesn't see him as just the Obscurus. Newt sees him for Credence, the young boy who needs help, who doesn't want to harm anyone.

"We're both okay." Newt mutters softly, Graves stands from behind them and is about to cast a spell to harm one of them, when Newt cases an Expelliarmus and Graves' wand flies into Newt's waiting hand. Newt points his wand at Graves until he starts to hear the Aurors of New York coming down to the subway.