Relationship (L.H)

September 3rd, 1952, 6:52 pm. The Holley Household

"What was it ya wanted t'talk about?" I ask Buddy, closing the door. "Are you okay?"

Buddy stands up from his bed and starts pacing. "Larry, I met this girl and I really, really like her. I barely met her on Monday but she's so pretty and funny and nice!"

"Wait, you met this girl on Monday? Buddy, today's Wednesday!"

"But Larry, you don't understand! She's the prettiest girl I've ever seen ever and she's so nice to me and she likes the same music! She plays the drums! Ain't that crazy? A girl playin' drums?"

I shrug. "Don't matter what you are or what instrument you play."

"I know, I know, I just never've met a girl drummer before," he stops pacing and places his hands on his hips. "She's so pretty, Larry. She's so pretty!"

"I'm sure she is,"

"And she's got a sister and a brother and they're triplets and her and her sister are identical. She's so great, Larry. She really is,"

"Well, what's this girl's name?"

"Violet Winter. She's not from around here, she's brand new to Lubbock and I gotta get her before anyone else does!"

I sit down on his bed. "Well, I say you invite this Violet over for your birthday. See what she's like when it's just you two alone. See if it's awkward or if it feels right."

"She feels right. She does." He says sternly. "I'm gonna marry her someday."

I almost choke on my own tongue. "Buddy! You've known her for less than three days!"

"You've always said that when you meet 'the one' then you just know,"

"Buddy, you probably won't meet 'the one' until you're much older!"

"You don't know, Larry. You don't know and you won't know until we're married."

I've always admired that quality in Buddy. He's always been very clear in his ideas. He has very little uncertainty about what he wants. I guess he has no doubts about wanting this girl.

"I wanna marry Violet." He says definitively

"Buddy, think about this,"

"I have. And I love her."

"You what!?"

"I think I love her!"

"Bud-"

"I have to snag her before anyone else does. Guys are already all over her and her sister. I have to act fast!"

"All you can do now is to invite her over, y'know. Don't move in on her too fast, don't scare her away."

He looks at me firmly. "I won't, Larry. I won't."

I shrug my shoulders. There's only so much you can do to convince a fifteen-year-old that he isn't in love. "Well, I'm excited to meet her,"

"You should be. I wish I had a picture! Then I'd show you just how pretty she is,"

"Well what's she look like?" I ask.

"She's got this long red hair and these really cute green eyes and an hourglass and you have no idea, Larry. You'll be shocked that a gal like her even wants to be my friend."