Ch 28: Charity

Charity was born a Lancastrian thanks to her father's side. When Edward IV of House York too over the throne of England, she had fled with her mother and father to Brittany, where it had rumored that Jasper Tudor and his nephew were being shielded by Duke Francis II. Charity had hated the journey, not fairing well with either the sea or horses. However, her parents had been determined to get her to safety so she bit her tongue whenever she wanted to complain.

It had taken them a month to gain acceptance into Brittany and to eventually reunite with the Tudors. Charity's mother happily took a job working as one of the castle maids, while her father resumed his role as a guard to Jasper Tudor, a positioned he had held a decade prior to Charity's birth.

Charity adjusted quickly to the new lifestyle, helping out around the village with cooking and gathering. Eventually, she began working alongside her mother in the castle, cleaning rooms and occasionally helping tend to the horses. During one of her morning chores, Charity managed to catch a glimpse of Arthur, who was known as the unofficially adopted son of Jasper Tudor.

She could recall having blushed all the way to her hairline when his pale blue-grey eyes had met hers. Her heart had practically leaped from her chest as she took in the sight of the prettiest boy she'd ever laid eyes on. His skin was fair and unblemished, and his blond hair so light it looked like glistening silver that had been molded into a multitude of short ringlets. He wasn't much taller than her, though, with a frame that still looked boyish and young despite him already approaching his twenties.

Charity had spoken few words to Arthur over the years, admiring him from a distance as he and Henry strolled through the castle grounds. She had willfully smiled at the boys each time they passed, being sweet and charming each time; but, to her disappointment, Henry had always looked politely uninterested, while Arthur, on the other hand, had never even bothered to give her a fake smile. In fact, she was fairly certain he had glared at her on a few occasions.

Having been under the impression that he disliked her, Charity was startled, to say the least, to find Arthur waiting outside her front door as she returned from her duties at the castle. He looked annoyed and perturbed, with his hands crossed over his chest and his toe-tapping furiously. He didn't look up as she approached, making her think he was lost in thought. She was about an arms distance away from him when he suddenly turned towards her.

"Hello, Charity," he suddenly said in an alarmingly agitated tone of voice. However, despite his obvious sour mood, Charity was aware that none of the emotion seemed to be directed at her.

"Hello, Arthur," she greeted with a bow. Despite not being of any real status, Charity and every other Lancaster had always treated Arthur like royalty, someone equivalent to Henry and Jasper, although she knew she didn't need to nor was she required to.

"I have a favor to ask," he said hastily. Charity, further surprised, cocked her heat to the side, causing a stream of dark hair to roll over her shoulder. Her hazel eyes shined with curiosity, but she patiently waited for him to continue with her arms folded behind her back. "Would you mind lending me some dresses?"

Charity's mind went blank at the request. Her face was frozen in an odd, stiff smile and her eyes blinked several times at a slow, befuddled pace. Her brow eventually furrowed as she released her hands.

"Sorry?" She questioned, still with the same austere expression. Arthur blushed a little at the sound of his request seemed to reach his own ears.

"It's not what you think," he said shaking his hands furiously in front of him as if he could swat his words out of the air. His face was red and Charity found herself smiling at the uncharacteristic panic. "My sister is arriving to the castle soon, but she doesn't have much to wear. You're about the same size as her so I was wondering if I could borrow some clothes for a short time till I can get more made for her."