Chapter 41

WARNING: Lemon

WARNING: Lemon

Brooke felt guilt hit her like a truck as she sat staring at a sobbing Leah, to stunned to hug her friend like she wanted to. Had she really not known? Hadn't she asked the elders? Surely they would know, right?

Jacob and Paul soon burst into the diner, clearly having sensed that something was wrong with their pack sister. Brooke shifted guilty.

"What on earth happened?" Paul frowned, never having seen Leah acting like she was. Hell, when Sam had dumped her she had been more angry than upset, but now she was nearly on the floor with her heart wrenching sobs. It was unsettling to say the least. Leah didn't cry, she just didn't.

"I don't get it," Brooke spoke softly. She looked up at her mate, her grey eyes wide with upset. "I only told her something she already knew."

It was then Leah seemed to snap out of it slightly, but she was still sniffing. "I didn't know."

"Why not?" Brooke bumbled, her bottom lips caught between her teeth. She didn't like where this was going.

Leah shrugged. "I never got my period so I just assumed, then I went to the elders and well…they didn't know anything…" she trailed off with a faraway look.

Not liking to see his mate upset Jacob soon had her in his arms, pulling her onto his lap as he sat on the bar stool. What he hadn't expected was how distressed this way making his normally calm and collected mate, especially since her comment about Leah not being as barren as they had all thought being something they had no idea of until now.

Had the elders really not known this?

It wasn't long until Sue came running from the back room, obviously having heard the distressing sobs of her daughter. Brooke shied away more, not knowing what to do. Would Leah hate her? Would Sue? Would any of the pack?

"You want to go get some fresh air?" Jacob mumbled against her ear.

Brooke eagerly agreed, wrapping her arms around her mates neck as he lifted her up. As promised he took her to a patch of fresh grass outside.

Laying down beside him Brooke ran her fingers down his chest. "Did she really not know?"

Jacob shrugged. "No," he shook his head. "While the elders are meant to be all knowing Brooke, there really not. At some instances, like this one, they know just as much as the rest of us which really isn't a lot."

Brooke breathed heavily. "If I had known…I wouldn't have…well…" Taking a deep breath she started again. "I wouldn't have just come out with it like that, you know?" She looked up at him.