Chapter 49

Day of the Battle

Day of the Battle

Bella crossed her arms against her chest as she watched the Cullen's rush around the house, preparing for the fight that was soon approaching. While they had told her that she had to stay put she was going to do no such thing, especially when the whole thing was because of her. So why shouldn't she be involved?

She scowled as she stared at Edward from across the room. She had thought that at least her boyfriend would stand up for her but even he seemed to be obsessed with the brightly coloured freak of nature who seemed to have gotten her claws dug into her Jacobs skin.

It was another thing she hated. Why was he no longer interested in her? Was she not good enough? Wasn't she better than that short bitch?

Snorting at the thought she rolled her eyes, of course she was better than this Brooke. She knew she was not only prettier, but the fact she didn't look like a mere child worked in her favour also. Edward thought she was the perfect girlfriend and to be honest she thought she was as well.

"Are you sure you want to stay here, dear?"

Looking up she saw Esme standing in front of her with a soft frown making her distaste for the whole situation grow.

"I want to go, Esme" she pouted. "Why couldn't we stick with the first plan, with me being nearby and helping with the blood trail?" That was what they had decided on before that bitch got involved after all.

Esme lightly shook her head, reaching out to cup Bella's cheek before thinking better of it and straightening up. She saw something in the young girl that she hadn't taken note of before. Bitterness? Disgust? Whatever it was she didn't like it and it couldn't be good.

"We are trying to protect you, Bella. I know you want to help, and while it was a good plan, Jasper believes that this is the best way to approach the situation."

Uh Bella thought.

"Why are you taking Jaspers advice? What does he know?"

Esme did frown at the spitefulness in the girls tone, tilting her head to the side as she debated on what to say. She suddenly wasn't feeling in a sharing mood.

"Jasper has…experience in situations like this, we trust his judgement completely and if he believes this is the best way to enter the situation then we will trust his word."

Fighting back the urge to roll her eyes Bella suddenly perked up as a thought struck her. "Where's Alice? Is she going?"

Esme soon felt Carlisle flash by her side, concern colouring his features and she knew he must have felt her sudden distress. The whole Coven didn't trust Alice, not at all, and they hadn't been aware of her whereabouts in a while. It was uncomfortable when they thought of how the smallest vampire of their group had been acting, her behaviour startling.