Chapter 50

Jacob knew something was wrong as he suddenly paused in his shouting at Lear, staring blankly at the visibly shaken female in front of him

Jacob knew something was wrong as he suddenly paused in his shouting at Lear, staring blankly at the visibly shaken female in front of him. He knew his inner alpha had been the reason why she was practically cowering away from him, especially since Lear wasn't the type of female to just take being roared at without fighting back, but she had been extremely foolish and needed to be punished for that fact.

He scowled as he recalled how close he had come to being crushed by the last remaining newborn, how if he hadn't of moved at the last split second he would be in so much agony he doubted he would have been able to remember his own name let alone be able to heal quick enough to get back to his angel and make sure she was safe.

Leah had gotten big headed and he knew she was aware of just how stupid she had been, not having alerted the pack and gone straight for the kill herself. What was she thinking? Was she really that insecure that she felt the need to prove herself? He had thought she was smarter than that.

He didn't say anything for a few moments, his whole entire form frozen on the spot as he tried desperately to scan for his mates emotions only to feel a light pain thrash through his head. He knew it was him being a werewolf that dumbed down the agony his mate must have been feeling for it to have transferred through their bond.

As soon as that thought hit him he had shifted, ignoring the rest of the startled pack as he let his wolf take control over the situation and allowed his instincts to consume him. All he knew was that he needed to get to his mate, that he needed to protect his Brooke and he was not about to let anyone get in the way of that.

That Battle had gone well which had been a relief, and while there were a couple of close cases none of their side had been killed in the attack. The newborns however didn't have any survivors, and while Carlisle had wished to save a few of them Sam had drawn the line at that and to be honest he agreed completely. It had been Jasper who had made the final call, telling Carlisle that it would be pointless to try and save them when it was obvious to everyone present that they could neither be trusted nor trained to act like the vegetarian vampires who didn't believe in the murder and killing of innocent people.

Why would a newborn who had been brought up on human blood wish to change to something less tasteful and appealing when there was another option?

They wouldn't.

"What's wrong, Jacob?"

He didn't know why but Jacob couldn't help but snarl instinctively when the thoughts of Jared hit his inner communication, especially since he hadn't actually picked up on the fact all the pack except Lear and Seth were following him, clearly concerned.

He didn't reply, rather sharing what he had felt from his mate making the rest of the pack instinctively growl as well as they quickened their pace. The short relief they had felt that everyone had survived was over now that there was a risk that the girl who had helped protect them all wasn't as safe as they had all assumed, as they had all hoped.