xi. dig dug

chapter eleven
dig dug

 "YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT I FOUND"

 Ruth looked up from the T.V, popping another cherry in her mouth. A grin grew on her face as she saw her dad skip into the living room, boxes in his hands.

 Bob and Rue usually spent their Saturdays at home, kicking their feet up and laying back while watching a good movie and eating snacks that could fill them for the next two days. However, today, Rue and Bob had gotten home only half an hour ago from Rue's baseball practice, so they're lazy day was delayed as Rue sat on the couch in her uniform.

 Bob placed the box on the carpet, and Rue slid off the couch to see what he found. She gingerly placed her bowl of cherries to the side, looking at him expectantly.

 "What did you find?"

 "You're gonna have to open it to find out, silly,"

 Laughing, she shook her head, opening the box. Dimples creased on Rue's cheeks as she smiled. "Oh, wow," she breathed, taking out toys that brought her nostalgia.

 "I found them while looking for a few puzzles for Will," Bob nudged her shoulder as Rue pulled out a pink teddy bear.

 "Mr. Blushy!" she giggled, caressing the bear softly before hugging him. She trapped her lower lip between her teeth, trying to suppress her smile as the teddy bear still lingered with warm memories from when she was five and younger. Mr. Blushy still smelled like her old home, like chocolate and apples and a hint of cinnamon.