Making Allies

A/N I'm sorry this took so long, I just have a pretty bad case of writer's block on some of my stories right now and this was one of the stories I was having trouble with. This chapter isn't as long as some of the previous ones, but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless. 

Percy's Point of view

When I reached Ágrios's side, I looked at his injuries. Thankfully none of them were too serious and I was sure that with some of his strength, and what was left of my own, I would have enough strength to heal him. I did just that before turning and walking over to Eragon. He was looking back at the battlefield which showed that the battle had finally come to an end. I could see many bodies scattered over the land. Crows and other scavenging birds had also descended to feed on the corpses of the fallen. It was a depressing sight.

As I walked over to Eragon, Ágrios followed me. Now that the battle was over Ágrios and I had also reconnected our minds. We'd kept them separated and protected during the battle to protect ourselves from attacks from enemy magicians. As we reached Eragon he said, "Saphira and I need to go, we will inform Lady Nasuada that you are an ally. We will come back when she is ready to speak to you herself, you still have some explaining to do,"

I nodded. I guessed that the woman he mentioned, Nasuada, was most likely the varden's leader. Eragon was about to start heading to the varden's camp, but it seemed he had an afterthought. Looking at Ágrios, he asked, "What's his name?"

" Ágrios," I answered before Eragon and Saphira left for the Varden's camp.

After Eragon and Saphira left, Agrios and I just talked. I asked him, "What should I tell them?"

He replied, "I believe it would be best to tell them at least the majority of the truth. If you lie and they eventually find out it may be more difficult to get them to believe you when you do tell the truth. it will be difficult enough to get them to believe the truth even without lying to them first,"

I knew he had a point but like he said even if I do tell them the truth, it wouldn't be easy to get them to believe it.

Even if I explained everything in the ancient language, I knew they might not believe me since there were still ways to avoid telling the whole truth in that language. I wasn't sure how I would convince them so I would have to just wait and see what happens when we get there. I think I'd earned Eragon's trust by helping him fight Murtagh. I knew it might take more than that to convince the rest of the Varden though.

Perhaps I could convince them by revealing my powers since they wouldn't be able to just assume it was magic because I didn't need to say anything to use them. But then again, technically magic could be done without speaking the Ancient Language, it's just a bit more dangerous that way.

When Eragon eventually returned to get us, we walked with Eragon and Saphira we didn't talk much. As we walked, we encountered other survivors of the battle who were staggering through the scorched battlefield. We saw many hollow-eyed men who looked without truly seeing, clearly traumatized by the battle. I couldn't help but think of how those men would most likely never completely recover from what they experienced. The numerous corpses scattered on the ground also made me think of how there were now many people who would be mourning for their lost loved ones. Even the king's soldiers probably had families somewhere in Alegasia, and that wasn't an easy thing for me to think about. I did my best to hide my thoughts from Eragon mainly because I really don't know him well yet, and even if he is sympathetic to me, I really didn't feel like confiding in him right now.

We eventually reached a large pavilion, Eragon swept back the flap and ducked inside, I followed behind him. Moments after we were inside, Saphira stuck her head in through a large gap that had been made for her. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough room for Ágrios to do the same, I supposed he would have to watch the meeting through my eyes and give me advice when I needed it. If they wanted to question him, either Saphira would have to move, or they would have to go to him.