Chapter Twenty Four: A Thousand Nights in My Arms

;lkjasdf another update. really need to head to bed for school oops. thank you dysanic for the BEAUTIFUL cover. ignore weird mistakes and typos, enjoy the chapter :) xx

* * * 

Chapter Twenty Four: A Thousand Nights in My Arms

A light drizzle of rain had just begun to fall onto the city by the time we arrived back at my apartment. Jessica slipped off my jacket once we entered.

"Are you sure it's all right that I spend the night here, Reece? What about Mark and Rebecca?" she asked while pulling her camera off from around her neck and placing it on the coffee table. "Maybe I should just go back to the orphanage."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't be ridiculous, sunshine. Rebecca and Mark have been totally chill about our relationship, they definitely wouldn't mind if you slept over. You've done it before, remember?"

She still refused to drop her nervous questions as she opened her mouth and said, "Yeah but –"

"Hold that thought." I held up a finger and pulled open the front door again. I made the short walk across the hall to our neighbors and knocked on the door. Rebecca had left Chris at their place knowing that I was out with Jessica earlier.

Mr. Hudson answered the door and out came Chris, shining with his usual boyish happiness. He smiled and raised his fist for a fist bump. "Hey, Reece! You took so long to come get me, what were you doing out so long?" he whined as he trailed behind me.  

For one thing, trying to hold back swinging my fist at a guy who dumped goddamn coffee on my girlfriend.

"Just spent a little while hanging with Jessica," I answered gruffly before clearing my throat. "Hey, you don't mind if Jessica spends the night at our place, right?"

His eyes lit up, the clear excitement evident in the stormy blue eyes he got from his mom. "Jessica's staying over tonight?" A small gasp left his lips as we walked into the apartment where Jessica remained right where I left her. "Jessica!" he exclaimed, surprising both me and Jessica as the little man ran up to Jessica and wrapped his arms around her waist.  

"Hi, Chris," she giggled, smiling down at the little boy clamped to her.

"Is it true? Are you going to stay over tonight?" he questioned eagerly.

"Um . . ." Jessica caught her lip between her teeth and looked up at me.

"'Course she is," I answered for her, pairing it with a stern look. "She can join us for chicken fingers and movies, doesn't that sound fun?"

Chris let out a whoop of celebration and threw his fist in the air. "Yes, this is gonna be awesome!" he cried. Jessica gave me a look as he ran off to the CD rack, probably already searching for the perfect set of movies.

"Reece," she sighed, her head falling to my shoulder as I pulled her in my arms.