Chapter 11

July 1668

She sucked in the warm air of the Versailles garden. The light scent of orange blossoms washed over her whenever the breeze blew just right. The magical feeling in the air was the same as during the celebration of the Enchanted Isles. The beauty of Versailles made the palace seem like the king's own Mount Olympus with enough splendor fit for the gods. This time the court celebrated the end of the war in Flanders despite fears of the Dutch joining an alliance with other countries to reclaim the Spanish Netherlands. Her gold dress made her feel fit to stand at the king's side. He had given her the money for new dresses and loaned her a pearl necklace. Louise wore nothing but a plain red ribbon.

Sixty courtiers dined with the king, Athénaïs and her sister included. Three hundred candles provided light to eat and converse by. Athénaïs watched the water rushing out of the waterfalls in the model of Mount Parnassus. Parnassus was home to Apollo and the muses. The king chose Apollo, the sun god, to represent himself, and Athénaïs decided that made her one of the muses. She would be his Athena and muse all in one. And someday, she'd sit beside the king in Louise's place.

She turned her gaze to the king and envy wormed its way through her thoughts. Thanks to the fear of her husband finding out about her position, Louise got to hang on to her position as mistress, even if only in title. Athénaïs got to spend her time amongst the other ladies and away from the king's side while Louise clung to him. All the more reason to loathe Monsieur Montespan. First he'd taken away her chance at a happy marriage, and now he cost her the king.

Louise didn't even enjoy her position at his side. She looked like a flower wilting in the king's light. She stared down at her plate in silence. The joy she'd shown earlier when she found out she'd get to sit beside the king had all but vanished. During the past autumn she gave birth to her son, the Comte de Vermandois, while Athénaïs danced at a ball with the king. He met with Louise for dinner that day, and knowing how much he hated to hear others complain, Louise dressed up and met him with a smile despite the lingering pain of childbirth.

When the time came, Athénaïs would do the same. She would smile and pretend as though the pain did not matter and she could endure anything for him. She would not bother him with the trivial matters of pain and illness, topics he did not like to discuss.

"You should be beside him," her sister said. "He can't keep his eyes off you. Look, he keeps staring at you and ignoring Louise. If he is trying to hide his affection, he is doing a poor job of it."

It was true. Every time Athénaïs glanced his way, the king met her eyes. Other courtiers followed his gaze, taking note of who held his attention. Louise might be at his side, but soon the court would catch onto who really held the king's heart.

"Louise spent an hour praying before the festival today. She prays as much as the queen. She spends too much time worrying about hellfire and sin. I don't understand why she ever agreed to become mistress in the first place. She doesn't try to win court favor either." Louise was no charmer and whenever anyone made a joke at her expense all she could do was stammer and blush instead of responding with sharp wits.

Gabrielle shrugged. "The siren call of love is hard to resist. It brings even the best of us to our knees. The queen still thinks Louise is mistress. Enjoy her favor while you have it in case the letter writer takes up their quill against you again. Once Mademoiselle Montpensier figures out your position, her defense for you will grow weak. She hates to lie to the queen, but she'll do her best to keep the king happy."

She slipped an orange slice into her mouth, taking a moment to savor the juices bursting across her tongue. "The queen's favor doesn't mean much to me. She carries little power and the king promised he will let me keep my position. Once I can get rid of Louise and my husband, I won't need to attend the queen."