Sanguine

Sanguine; optimistic or positive, especially in a bad or difficult situation.

C H A P T E R   T H I R T Y - T W O

Noah and I stood there dumbfounded absolutely out of clue as to what we should do. I wanted to follow Matt, but the look on his face scared me soo much, I just couldn't bring myself to. We went to the cafe and Scar rushed to us as soon as we entered.  

"What the hell happened? Why does she look like she's gonna cry any second now?" she directed her question to Noah as I clutched his hand for support.

Noah sighed. "We were talking, and Winston heard us. He....uh, came to know about us and then left."

Scar hid her face with her hands, and everyone else came around us. The only person that had a neutral expression on her face was Tiffany. 

"Shit, he must have been mad," Ally said.

"Mad? He took off before I could say two words to him!" I said, equally worried as everyone else.

Adrenaline flooded my system and the rate with which my fear was increasing, I knew it would succeed in taking over me. I was more terrified of Matt's reaction than any insect, and that was saying something. My mind blocked out all things being discussed as it submerged in my thoughts. I knew there was no easy or another way of doing this. I had to talk it out with him if I wanted to solve this.

"I'm gonna go talk to him, I have to," I made up my mind.

Noah's eyes steadily observed me, and I was yet to comprehend his reaction. "Okay, then. I'll come with you," he said, his words as firm as his tone.

"Noah, he just found out that the girl he likes is dating the guy he hates, this isn't a great time for your jealousy to kick in," Scar commented. 

Noah gave her a look. "Exactly, so if you're telling me that he's not gonna pull some last-minute Jacob Black bullshit on my girl, then I'm sorry, but I don't believe you for one second," he retaliated.

The term of endearment he used did things to my heart, but it pained me to see how much they both, Noah and Matt, mistrusted each other. I shook my head and closed my eyes for a brief second and caught both of Noah's hands in mine. The warmth contained in them made it's way to my hands, even though it had just been a second of contact. I looked into his eyes, hoping he'd understand. "Noah, I need to do this alone."

"Noah, you're the last person he wants to see right now. You're only gonna make things worse," Chase said and shrugged lightly.

"No, Chase," he distinctly disagreed and shifted his vision to me. "The last person he wants to see right now is you, precious," he explained, and the calmness in his tone made me sigh.

"He's right. You shouldn't be talking to Matt at all right now," Tiffany chipped in, the nature of her voice staying monotone as ever.

"Exactly. He is mad at you right now so even if you try and explain stuff to him, he'll just throw your words right back at you," Noah replied, entwining my fingers with his.

"I hate to say it, but he makes a lot of sense, Syd," Jay said, offering me a hopeful smile.

"You can talk to him the first thing in the morning. But for tonight, just let him be, yeah?" Jay said, and Noah tilted his said towards Jay and nodded once.

"You've had a long day. You need to catch some sleep, come on," Noah smiled, hugging me to his side as his hand ran down my forearm in an effort to soothe me.

Scar, Jay, Noah, and I walked together towards the dorms. Both my hands were curled up around Noah's bicep, and my head rested lightly on his shoulder. All my energy was going in keeping up hope that Matt would calm down and understand. We reached my dorm, and Noah caught my wrist as I was about to enter.