16 ~ Project 29

~ 16 ~

~

Flashes of a boat—no, a ship. A flying ship. Two men, speaking to one another. Discussing. Fighting, maybe.
A woman was resting, her body limp. A blanket was laid over her, but she didn't seem warm. No, she seemed pale, cold and uncomfortable. But her unconscious body could not tell me why.

"Say goodbye."
One of the men pushed.

They were dressed in dark clothes, one of them with a cloak around his shoulders and the other with ink-black hair.

"Not this day."
The cloaked man replied, his hands wrapped around something to steer the ship with.

"This day, the next, a hundred years..."
The first man loudly spoke.
"It's nothing! It's a heartbeat. You'll never be ready."

The cloaked man stared at the woman, whose silently rested on the floor. For a single second, her face changed into mine. The man with black hair spoke again, this time looking at my resting form.

"The only woman whose love you prize will be snatched from you."

Then her face changed back, her features extremely familiar. But my mind was too foggy, too unclear for me to recognise it fully.

The man turned around, his eyes crossing mine, even though I knew I had never physically been there. Loki.

~

I opened my eyes, sweat covering my forehead. Was that a nightmare? A dream? Or another vision?

"Good morning."
JARVIS' voice sounded. The night before, I had discovered there were small devices in almost every corner of the tower; microphones, for the A.I. system to speak through. I didn't answer it, and instead sat up, staring at my wall.

"Mr. Stark requests your presence on the 12th floor."

I turned to the nightstand beside my bed, pressing the home button of my phone. 6:30 am. Only Tony Stark could want to meet me at this hour.

I pushed the covers aside, throwing my legs over the edge. Only when I shifted my weight to my feet did I realise my entire body was shaking. I took a deep breath, still unsure of what had happened—or who had happened.

Loki, that's who.

I shook my head, trying to get rid of the mess inside my head. I hadn't thought of that man in the past few days, and I certainly wasn't planning on starting.

I pulled on a pair of black leggings and a shirt, reminding myself that it was April right now; not February, not the month that I had left Midgard. The door handle was cold as ever as I pushed it down with shaking hands, quickly making my way towards the kitchen.