Death

It was the first time it had rained in a week, it's like the weather knew what had happened. I sat on the sofa in my apartment, Matty curled into one side of me and Louis on the other. Sniffles were all that could be heard throughout the room, the rain tapping the window in a rhythm.

Yesterday had started with us visiting Ann in hospital, Matty being as close as he was with her wanted to be there as much as he could so we went. She took a turn for the worst and Denise was called, I said my goodbyes to a woman who was like my own grandmother and went to pick up Louis from school.

Matty refused to leave and sat holding his nana's hand all day, Denise and Vin too. I took Louis as requested straight to the hospital and when it got too much back to my flat so he could unwind.

Unfortunately Ann passed away later that night, leaving a tear in the world. Matty was devastated and came straight over to check on Louis, he deals with loss in his own way but I kept an eye on him.

Denise was at home with Lincoln and her dad, I knew she wasn't in the right mind frame to be looking after Louis which was understandable and she was still fragile.

"Why is it always the best people?" Matty mumbles, desperation in his tone.

I sit forward, taking both of the boys with me. "I wish I knew why the worst things happen to good people but I don't. What I do know is she loved you both so much and it hurts so much right now and I'm sorry."

Louis leaned his head on my shoulder and let out an exhausted sigh, I pressed a kiss to his forehead and flattened his hair with my palm. Matty took my hand into his, anxiety clear from the skin shredded on his nails, I swiped my thumb back and forth trying to comfort him.

"Right lets get you both a drink you need something in you" I declare, walking into the kitchen.

I put the kettle on and grabbed the tea bags, making tea for Matty and I. Whilst that brewed, I grabbed the hot chocolate stirring it into the hot water for Louis.

Walking back into the living room, I spot the two siblings holding each other and Matty whispering to Louis. I had tried keeping it together for the sake of them, I knew it would be hard, especially for Matty because he went to his nana for literally everything.
I would miss our holidays, even at 23 we had still gone to the lake house with them.

"Thanks Darlin'" Matty said, taking the cup of tea from me. I passed Louis his "Thank you Sting" in a timid voice.

It's back to silence after our exchange of short sentences, the three of us at a loss for words. Matty asked if he could speak to me in the kitchen so I got up and followed him through.

He fell into my arms the minute we got in there, I caught him and rubbed his back to comfort him. "Let it all out Marty, come on" to which he sobbed more into my collarbone.

"M'gonna go for a walk, maybe to the studio if it's open. You ok keeping an eye on bug?" He murmurs. 

"Yeah I've got him. Don't be out too late, I'll worry!" I knew he had to go, his way of expressing himself was through music. "Take a coat Matthew" I shout after him.

The rest of the night was spent watching whatever films Louis wanted to watch, he lay on the sofa with a duvet over him and yet another hot chocolate in hand. I noticed him drifting off so made sure he was comfortable before kissing his head and telling him to come get me if he needed me.

As I got up from my crouched position I feel his hand grab my arm "You alright sweetheart?" I ask.

"Can I sleep in with you and Matty tonight? I miss nana and I don't want to be on my own" He says quietly, his face had random specks of red from where he'd been crying earlier.

"C'mon then" I take his hand in my mine and walk towards my bedroom where we drifted off to sleep quickly.

I wake up to the mattress dipping from a new weight, the smell of smoke hitting my nostrils and a pair of cold arms wrapping themselves around Louis and I.

"Muse? You awake?" Matty whispers, careful not to wake his brother.

"Yeah I am, feel a bit better after a walk?" I question.

I feel his weight shift and look to see he was getting comfortable "A bit, don't think I'll be better for a while. Thank you for looking after us, I really don't deserve you."

"Oi, no self-deprecating comments now. I've got you always, you know that" I nod down at Louis "And he's no problem, you know I adore him. Best kid in the world."

Matty tights his arms around us "My two favourite people in the world."

a/n: just felt like this was necessary for the story moving forward and Matty's actions whether it be subliminal or not. also time jump of 2 years