3

I arrived at the diner just after seven, pushing the familiar door open and hearing the bell jingle to signal an arrival. I passed the cluster of waiters prepared to guide new arrivals to their table, as the majority of them already knew who I was due to the frequency of my visits. Every Friday night, large groups from school all headed to the American-themed diner down the street, and tonight, being New Year's Day, was no different.

"Blair! Over here!"

I looked up, catching Vic standing by a booth, waving her arms frantically at me. I headed towards her, a grin on my face.

"Hey, guys," I sat down in the booth after hugging Vic, greeting our other friends on the opposing side of the booth.

Liam had been my friend since we were thirteen, and he was as sweet as they came. He was quiet; shy, but he had the biggest heart - as did his girlfriend, Liz. I hadn't known her until they started dating, which was during the previous Summer, and she was very.. loud. Her bubbly personality contrasted greatly with Liam's introverted one - but she often brought him out of his shell, and that was nice to see. She was a lot, but she was a sweetheart all the same, and it was nice to see Liam so happy.

Beside them in the booth was Zayn, another close friend of mine. Everyone saw him as the mysterious one, but I didn't at all. He was so easy to talk to, and what you saw with Zayn was what you got - he was easygoing, and I liked that. He was also probably one of the most attractive person I'd ever laid eyes on - he was almost like a piece of art.

Liz handed me her menu, although I might as well have known it by heart by now, and I thanked her, deciding on what to order.

"My mum was totally all over Zayn's dad last night, though," Liam grimaced, returning to what I assumed was their conversation before I'd arrived, "it was disgusting." I laughed.

"It was," Zayn nodded in agreement, "I've never wished I was adopted more than I did in that moment."

"Come on," Liz interjected, "I don't see the problem. You two could be brothers! Your parents.. two divorcees getting it on-"

"My dad isn't divorced!" Zayn exclaimed, cutting her off, and the whole table burst into laughter before the waiter showed up to take our orders.

Once we'd ordered our food, everyone settled back into conversation. We only had tomorrow and the day after until we had to return to school for the commencement of the new term, and I wasn't sure I even minded much. I liked school - at least as much as I could. I wasn't the smartest, but I really enjoyed History and English classes, and I got to spend time with my friends, which was enough for me. Even the students who weren't my friends were nice enough - at least to me, and I'd never particularly struggled with anything academically, sparing the typical hatred for Maths.

My chin was in my hand as I listened to Liz talk. Most of the time, I felt, I was pretty good at that. Listening - spare earlier on with Vic on the phone. And I liked it, too - if there was something I didn't enjoy, it was when attention was completely diverted onto me. I didn't like being the centre of attention - not one bit. It made me insecure, and it made me self-conscious, and that was something I didn't like. I preferred to listen, rather than to be heard, a lot of the time.

My eyes were subconsciously scanning around the room. I could listen, but I - admittedly - was easily distracted, too. I'd excuse it with multitasking. Tables upon tables of faces I recognised - couples and friendship groups and families out for a Friday night dinner. Until I saw the corner table.

A head of chocolate brown curls caught my eye, and I felt my breath hitch in my throat. I let my eyes shift downwards, and instantly they were met with a pair of green ones, and I felt my stomach flip. So much for never seeing him again.