Forty-two : Test of Courage?

I was half asleep when I noticed a presence above me. In a flash, I grabbed their wrist, sat up, pulled them close, and held my sharpened nails to their neck in case they had malicious intent. When I open my eyes, it was Eijirou. His skin around his neck was hardened and he had a nervous smile on his face. He rubbed the back of his neck and closed his eyes. "Hey, Tay..." I released my hold on him and sat back with a sigh.

    "Babe, you scared me..." I said putting my hand on my chest. He chuckled and sat next to me, deactivating his quirk.

    "I can tell," he laughed. I flashed him a tired glare, causing him to pout. "Sorry, sorry. I didn't mean to. You just looked so peaceful." With a sigh, I leaned my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes. "You tired?" I nodded against the fabric of his sweatshirt. "I can walk you to the dorms before I go back to class."

    "Back to class? You aren't done?" I sat up and looked at his profile.

    "No, I told them I forgot something in the room that I needed."

    "Eijirou..."

    "I'm gonna go back, I just wanted to see you before you went to bed and I knew you were tired." I sigh and shake my head at him.

    "You're gonna get in trouble. Aizawa's gonna be pissed when he finds out."

    "If...he finds out," He spoke with a smirk before lifting me in his arms and standing from the hill. "I'll take you to the front of the girl's dorm so no one sees me." I cuddle into his warmth as he walks, too tired and sore to protest. Once we make it to the entrance (which, sadly, wasn't far), he set me down to stand on my own, yet kept his arms around me. He pressed a chaste kiss to my forehead before stepping back. "Go get some sleep, okay? You look exhausted." I pouted and looked up at him. He playfully rolled his eyes before leaning down and giving me a quick kiss. "Better?"

    "Better. Goodnight, Eiji. Please don't get in trouble," I plea before turning to go inside. 'I love you,' I wanted to say it, but I couldn't break first...

    "Night, Taya,"

    Everyone inside seemed to already be asleep, luckily for me. I found my sleeping back and crawled inside, pulling my blanket over top. The warmth was more than inviting and I was asleep almost immediately.

———

The next morning went on pretty much the same as yesterday. Mandalay took me back to the tennis ball shooters and had me stretch on my own while she warmed up the machines. This time, we were starting with all three rather than one. I was already sore from yesterday, but that didn't stop them from pushing us. Our goal was to strengthen our quirks, so we had to push ourselves past our limits. As I stretched, I thought about Eijirou. I hope he didn't get himself into trouble last night. I smile a bit to myself as I stretch out my calves. 'I'm so gonna lose this bet...'

"Alright, Taya. Ready to start?" Mandalay spoke up once all the machines were whirring. I take a deep breath and tie the fabric around my eyes.

"Ready."

———

When training was over, we all met back up at the camp where Pixie-Bob was eagerly waiting to announce something. I was so tired and sore when we got back and Eijirou didn't look too far off, even though he just had remedial lessons. I'm sure we both looked a little dead inside.

"Listen up, everyone! Tonight we're going to change things up with something fun! After dinner, we're putting classes against each other in a test of courage. I know you've been training hard, so now you'll get to play hard! How's that for a reward?" She asks excitedly. Nearby, Kendo shakes her head.

"That just sounds like more training." Jirou nods in agreement.

"Training in the dark, no less."

"Revelry in the dark..." Tokoyami speaks from afar.

The sun was starting to set already, meaning it was close to dinnertime. Everyone made it over to the middle of the camp, eagerly wanting to finish dinner and get started with the Test of Courage. I sat down and rested my forehead on the table, struggling to keep my tired eyes open long enough to eat and get through the activities after. I was so tired when someone sat next to me, I groaned in annoyance. "Woah, someone's grumpy," a familiar voice said.

"I get grumpy when I'm tired," I replied turning to face my boyfriend. He sat there with his usual sharp-toothed grin. He just chuckles and rubs my knee. I yawn again whilst my cheek is pressed against the table. The rest of dinner goes by quietly. Eijirou offered to go get me some food while I tried to take a little power nap (which didn't actually help anything, might I add) and before we knew it, the teachers and heroes had us meet up at the entrance to the forest where the game would soon begin. I was still very tired, but awake enough to be able to participate and be coherent. I had gone to change right after dinner and I was now wearing black leggings and one of Eijirou's red sweatshirts. Hakai had on some comfy looking clothes. she was wearing a long sleeve shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes. Usagi then arrives wearing all black, not forgetting her signature black leather jacket. We all greet each other before discussing the tournament.

"This is gonna be so much fun!" Eijirou cheers whilst grasping my hand tightly. I smirk and raise a brow.

"You scared, babe?" I ask teasingly.

"Me scared? What kind of a man do you take me for?" I pry my hand away from his clammy one.

"One whose hands are sweating like crazy," I say before wiping my palm on my hoodie. "Look," I say. "the only thing you should be scared of is your shoes." I glare down at the crocs he had on his feet before flashing a small glare to Hakai, knowing she must've had something to do with this. Both Hakai and Eijirou's faces started to grow red, but before either could speak up, Aizawa arrives and takes ahold of Eijirou's collar. Behind him, Mina, Sero, Kaminari, and Satao are tangled up in his scarf.

"Hold on," he speaks. "It pains me to say it, but the remedial class will be having lessons with me tonight." At these words, Mina starts to fight against his scarf.

"YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!" she cries in agony.

"But they've been looking forward to this all day," Hakai tries to reason.

"It's what they get for being behind," Bakugou says with a shrug. 'Where'd he come from?'

"Come on, Aizawa. Can't you let them off just this once?" I plea. I was looking forward to going through with him...

"Sorry, but their training during the day didn't impress me, so unless you want to join them..." he trails off giving me a subtle glare. I raise my hands and step away from my boyfriend.

"Nope, they're all yours." There is no way I'm taking lessons when I'm already this tired. No thank you. Sorry babe, but you're on your own for this one.

"Aw, give me a break!" Sero cries.

"I just wanna test my courage!" Kaminari sobs.

"Taya? You're gonna leave me?' Eijirou asks trying to use puppy-dog-eyes. I just shrug.

"Sorry, Eiji. I'll come see you when you're done with your lessons," I say with a small yet tired smile.

"Promise?"

"Promise," I say before waving as the groups is dragged away by our teacher.