[17]

Amara's POV

As we sit on the bench, Peter leans his head on my shoulder.

"Will you hate me again tomorrow?" Peter asks.

"Probably." I answer with slight sarcasm.

"But you love me." He makes a statement, rather than it being a question

I sigh. "I do."

He doesn't tell me he loves me because deep down, he knows his feelings don't go deeper than a crush.

My heart twinges at the thought of what I did out of pure selfishness; acting out on pure emotions instead of logic.

"What is this?" I ask.

"What's what?" He questions me back.

"This." I point at us.

He sits up and takes my hand in his. "Whatever you want it to be."

This is not the answer I wanted, I wanted to hear him tell me where he wanted to take this.

Every second that passes by makes me regret the hasty decision I made but not a single bone in my body regrets the actual actions.

I'm making myself sick from the way my thoughts are forming.

This is dangerous.

I'm straying from my path and it's all my fault.

There will be no us if Peter doesn't figure out what we are and where he stands in all of this.

"Peter..." I begin to say.

"Hm?"

"I have to go."

"Wait—" He tries to stop me.

But I've already got up and made my way inside.

• • •

"It took you a while but you finally brought him in." Daamir says as he pulls up a chair beside me.

"Yes, he, uh, was busy." I say, trying not to give anything away.

Daamir rolls his eyes. "He always has his tongue down some chick's throat."

I raise my brow. Daamir isn't that different either. "And you?"

"Point taken." He chuckles.

"It's nice to see the Bilal family being so charitable towards religious charities." Daamir smiles.

I look at him with confusion

"You didn't know?" He asks.

"Know what?" I look at him in confusion.

"Peter's father is Muslim and his mother doesn't practice any religion. However, his father never really practiced Islam either so you can't really consider him Muslim, maybe only by name, to be honest." Daamir tells me.

Just as everything was falling apart, it's somehow falling apart even more.

"What... what about Peter?" I ask carefully.

"He's a full atheist." Daamir sighs.

My hands go numb. The already complicated situation is so overly messy that I can't possibly dig myself out of this one.

"You're joking..." I say more to myself than him.

"His name is Peter, what did you expect?" Daamir' s tone is more of a tease than being serious.