Missing

Joe took a look at the note again. "Mom, how do you know it wasn't Dad who wrote this?"

Laura sighed. "Have you ever noticed your father's signature?" The boys glanced at each other in shock before glancing at their mother and nodding slowly. "There's something missing, isn't there?" The boys glanced at the note again.

Frank gasped. "Those little symbols he usually put under his name, they're not there!"

"Not only that, but this message is too short. Your father always writes to me in our code, even if the code just simply says I love you, it lets me know he was the one who wrote it."

Joe glanced at her pleadingly. "Will we get to learn the code?"

Laura glanced at her boys and nodded. "Yes, I think it's about time you finally learned it too."

Frank cleared his throat. "May we, um, may we share it with Nancy too?"

Laura chuckled. "Carson and Catherine had their own code, and it was definitely different from ours. I think it's best the three of you come up with your own code to use." The boys nodded, that made sense. At that moment, the officer came back into the house, announcing that Collig was on his way.

Half an hour later, Trudy was up and was given the latest news, Sam and Janelle Radley had arrived to comfort the family, Jack Wayne was on his way, and Collig was on the phone with Principal Stevenson, requesting the day off for Frank and Joe. Collig got off the phone with Stevenson right as Jack Wayne walked into the door.

"Is there anything you need?" he asked upon entering the living room.

Collig had just returned the phone to its receiver and turned to face Jack. "Ah, good, you're here." He glanced really quick at the boys. "You do have the day off today." He turned back to Jack. "Now, I'm under the assumption that you in particular are working with Fenton on this case?"

Jack nodded. "I am."

"When was the last time you heard from him?"

"Oh, yesterday morning, he sounded really excited. He thought he had found a clue that could blow the whole case wide open. He told me to come to the house this afternoon, in fact, he, the boys, and I were going to come up with a plan to catch them." He glanced around the room sullenly. "I, I hate to say this, but, I think, I think they caught him."

"Well, if you hate to say something, don't say it!" blurted Trudy. She crossed her arms and let out a humph before going to sit down in one of the armchairs.

Jack followed her. "I'm sorry Trudy, but it's the likeliest scenario. We have to think of every angle." He knelt before her. "Would you rather I just come out and blurt it like you do?"

Trudy gasped. "You're not exactly getting yourself out of this hole."

Jack snickered. "Sorry Trudy, but, I have to tell the truth. We're being questioned, after all. You never wanted me to lie, remember?"

"Oh posh, this is serious Jack." But she gave him a coy smile and a little giggle. The boys' eyes widened as they glanced at each other. Were Aunt Trudy and Jack flirting? What a time to flirt.

Collig cleared his throat. "Not for everything, Jack. Anyway, that was the last time you spoke with Fenton?"

Jack rose and nodded. "Yes, it was. I didn't suspect anything had happened until I got the call to meet you here." He turned to Laura and the boys. "I'm really sorry about all this."

Laura gave him a sad smile. "It's all part of the job, Jack. Let's just concentrate on finding him." Jack nodded.

"Well, based on what we have learned so far, our best bet would be to stake out the Pollitt place." Collig winced. "Unfortunately, we don't have any real proof that he was taken there. There might be another hideout."