49. sanctuary for all

49.
sanctuary for all

MILO

     STANDING WITH HIS BACK AGAINST BOB, SASHA AND MAGGIE he narrowed to try and see through the morning fog. The snarls of the walkers came from all around them but there was no way of telling where exactly they would come from. He held his knife tightly in his left hand and his gun in the other. He didn't want to fire unless absolutely necessary, afraid the sound would draw only more of them near.

Fear clawed around in his stomach and he wished he could just see something. Waiting here in the fog for the walkers to find them was the only option they had and he hated it.

Finally a dark figure came stumbling towards them, coming right at Bob. The man raised his knife, pushing it through the walker its skull before pulling it back out again. Maggie did the same thing to his right while Sasha hit one against the head with a branch she had picked up.

A dark shape came shuffling out of the fog towards him and with a grunt of effort he pushed his knife through the walker's eye, before pushing the limp corpse to the ground.

He noticed Bob fighting three of them off at once. And his eyes widened when a walker came stumbling at the man from behind, biting down his shoulder.

'No!' Milo screamed, pointing his gun at the walker his head and pulling the trigger. The monster fell down, now nothing but an empty corpse and Milo ran forwards, raising his arm and pushing the knife through one of the walkers their skulls.

Turning around he saw the two women had fought of the others and the snarls of the walkers finally faded. Facing Bob again he watched with wide eyes at the man pulled away his shirt but frowned when he saw no blood.

'It's okay,' Bob panted, chuckling to himself, 'he got me right on the bandage.'

A laugh escaped Milo's lips. 'You lucky bastard,' he said, his voice slightly shaking.

A sigh of relief came from Sasha as she pulled Bob into a hug, making the man shout out in pain. Immediately she pulled back, holding her hands in the air.

'Ah, I didn't say stop,' Bob said, smiling, 'I just said ow.'

The four of them burst out in laughter, pure relief of surviving another night washing over them all. Another day had come, another opportunity to search for Glenn. Milo couldn't say exactly why he was so determined to help Maggie, maybe it was just because he had no lead on Quinn and helping Maggie find Glenn would at least mean one reunion.