S o f t

Penelope struggled to keep up with Phoenix's fast pace. He was obviously still bothered about their previous encounter with Mrs. Patterson and Penelope was growing worried.

"Phoenix where are we going?" She asked once they passed the cafeteria doors.

She wasn't surprised when she was met with silence, so she remained quiet until they exited the school.

"Phoenix please talk to me." She pleaded. "We can't just leave school like thi-"

"I needed to get out of that school okay?" He said running a hand down his face. "I need to hit something." He muttered under his breath.

Penelope grabbed his shaking fists and eased them open so that she could hold his palms.

"Please don't."

Penelope's gathered from his behaviour that he has difficulty calming himself when he's angry. She didn't want him hurting others or himself, so she hoped her actions were distracting him from his heated state.

She squeezed his hands and searched his eyes to make sure that he was listening to her.

"You're fine, I'm fine. Yeah?"

Phoenix's Adam's apple bobbed at her boldness. He was now focused on her touch and words rather than the intense urge to punch someone out.

"I-" He started, his eyes taking in her soft features. "I'm sorry." He apologized, reclaiming control of his hands and dropping them to his sides- although not before caressing her skin gingerly.

"Don't worry about it." She murmured sweetly.

Her head turned back to glance at the empty picnic tables near the back of the school.

"Do you wanna sit over there for a bit?" She asked, gesturing to the location.

Phoenix looked over and nodded, shoving his hands in his pockets before joining her in walking over to the area.

Phoenix sat down first, before standing up and grabbing Penelope's wrist when she went to sit across from him.

Wordlessly he brought her to straddle his lap and he nestled his head in her neck.

Penelope's breath hitched at their close proximity, still not used to his shameless display of public affection.

"You need to stop doing that." She said weakly. In response, the boy nibbled on her ear lobe, causing the girl to whimper. "And that." She breathed.

Phoenix chuckled and stopped attacking the sweet girl with his mouth.

"And why should I?" He asked innocently.

Penelope huffed and lifted her head to look at him, although she paused. All words seemed to have been forgotten after seeing his features. He was even more beautiful up close.

"Cat got your tongue?" He teased.

At that, her eyes widened in shock. Had Phoenix just teased her? She had not expected that from him.

"N-no, my tongue is just fine." She replied with a growing blush. Phoenix laughed, causing the colour on her cheeks and nose to deepen. "Let me eat my lunch." She whined hitting his arm lightly.

Phoenix chuckled and effortlessly lifted her, so that he could reposition her to sit on his right leg. That way, she had easy access to her meal.

Today she had a chicken salad, a juice box and a chocolate bar. Before she took a bite of her salad, she glanced at him and saw that he was watching her.