~ 15 ~

~ Chapter Fifteen ~

Later that night, I sat alongside Libelle and Xenon outside of the cave. It's dinner time and we were having bread with soup, or so I call it. The soup consisted of the vegetables that are grown in their garden. Ruby had told me about it. She said a few women and men go into the forest where they've set up an opening for a garden. She said it's beautiful and if I like working in the kitchen, then I'll have a chance to see it.

Right now I'm being rotated, learning all about the different jobs and chores around here. So my opportunity to go see the garden wouldn't be anytime soon.

Today I started in the kitchens. It wasn't hard. The women had me chopping ingredients most of the time. They probably gave me the easiest job in order to not poison anyone with my lack of cooking skills.

I wouldn't eat what I've cooked either.

Tomorrow, I will be assisting the crafters. Ruby wasn't able to explain much since she left in a rush earlier that morning. But I had an inkling that it's probably people working with wood, rock, or metals. Like a carpenter.

I slowly ate my soup as I watched everyone below us. Kaene seemed to be roaming around talking with everyone, like a proper host. Though, it must be an act because I know how much of a jerk he is. Everyone didn't mind his presence. They would stop eating and respectfully speak with Kaene.

Just watching him act nice irks my nerves. What he had said earlier keeps popping up in my head, replaying his harsh words. As well as the moment I began to cry in front of the three men. Even the embarrassment I felt, comes back to me tenfold. Landon and Zander saw me in a vulnerable state. A state in which I never wanted anyone, here, to see.

I wonder if they'll pity me now.

I let out a quiet sigh. Although, not quiet enough because Libelle turned her head towards me in question.

"Is something wrong Kaida?"

I shook my head and stared down ahead of me. I don't want to bring up my crybaby status to her. She's already seen me cry the first day I got here. She felt sorry for me then and I'm sure she will now.

"Libelle, I want to learn more about the culture of these dragons. But I don't know where to start."

Instead, I went with my current problem at hand. Which is how the people in front of me seemed carefree, enjoying their meals and the chatter amongst themselves. They all seem happy and I'm somewhat longing to feel that emotion too. I just don't know how to obtain it here. I need Libelle to help me understand this world so that I can one day feel at ease and possibly happy here.

Libelle patted my shoulder, attempting to be comforting. "I heard about what happened earlier. I'm sorry my son was rude to you."

I quickly turned to look at her, shaking my head in denial. I was about to tell her that she shouldn't feel sorry about it when she lifted her hand to prevent me from talking.

"Yet.. I'm not sorry about the words he said. They held truth behind them. You were holding back. I felt like you wanted to wake up from a terrible nightmare and forget about the world we dragons live in."

She isn't wrong. I did want to think that I somehow ended up in a coma after my freak accident in the mountains. I wanted to wake up and see my family surrounding me. I wanted to see and hug them all.

Libelle was spot on with her psychoanalysis on me. But now I know that seeing my friends and family will never happen.

I wring my hands together. "I did wish to somehow wake up and pretend all this was a dream. But everything is real. I'm waking up everyday to this new world. That's why I'm trying harder now. Kaene helped me realize that."

My mouth burned after saying those last few words. Even if it's the truth, I didn't want to give that jerk the credit.

I think Libelle knew too because she chuckled a bit before getting up. "Follow me, dear."

I stood up and followed Libelle down the platform. She said her good nights and farewells to the people near her. I simply followed her as I stared down, avoiding the stares.

We walked back inside the cave. Libelle lead me through various hallways and stairs until we got to a large metal door. She pushed the door open, it creaked under the pressure.

Inside, the room was large and covered with book shelves. The shelves were installed on the walls, from floor to ceiling, while the center was exposed. Probably to allow dragon forms to roam freely inside here.

Libelle pulled out a large book. The leather seemed old and worn out, as wells as the pages inside. From what I can see, the pages have turned yellowish.

"This book will tell you the basic history of our people. How dragons came to be. And what our purposes were throughout generations."

"Didn't the fairies help create your ability to shapeshift?" I asked as I recalled reading something about that in the journals that belonged to the old dragon masters.

"No. What you're thinking about is how they help us transform mortals into dragons. You read that in one of the journals." I nodded. "Well that's something different. They help us because we've lost that old knowledge since no one is mortal here."

"You can't ask them for how it's done?"

Libelle shook her head. "Fairies aren't that friendly to begin with. So asking them for a favor is impossible. You must offer something valuable in order to receive something in return."

Well tinkerbell needs to teach these fairies something about being nice.

"Anyway," Libelle continued. "The true story of how dragons came to be is here in this book."

She handed it to me. I grabbed it with both hands and followed Libelle out.

I guess if I want to understand these dragons then I have to start from the beginning.

Libelle guided me to my room and left after saying goodnight. I set the book down on my bed and stared at it. I'm wondering whether or not I should start reading right now or go to sleep.

I choose sleep. I can read this tomorrow. Dragon history 101 can wait.

*** *** *** *** *** ***

A/N

Posted: 8/5/19

Sorry for not posting as regularly as I have been. I have been babysitting my little cousin. But her summer vacation is over so that means more free time for me to write! 😊

Comment & Vote!