11. Lunch With Mr. Dreamy Eyes

Clara

Six years ago

With a burdened heart and moistened eyes, I looked at the ring in my fingers. The diamond although big, just didn't feel like it belonged to me. I couldn't feel any attachment with Aaron even after the engagement.

Throughout the ceremony, my eyes kept wavering to Ryan who had an amused smile on his face whenever he caught me stealing glances of him. If I could relate to any person in that party, it was him. The kind of man I would want as my fiance, with perfect looks, an eloquent mouth and a captivating personality.

Finally giving up, I lay down to sleep when my phone started ringing. The caller ID showed Aaron's name. Exhaling loudly, I picked up the phone and muttered a small "Hi".

"How are you?" his voice was deep and gentle. For some reason, even his gentleness irked me and I knew it wasn't fair to him. His first impression didn't let me make a place for him in my heart, no matter how much I try.

"I am fine." I answered briefly.

"Um.. Well.. Umm..."

"Do you have anything to say?" I asked in a calm manner but it somehow sounded rude, even to my own ears.

"Um.. Yeah. Its just.. You.. You looked beautiful last night." he gave me a compliment and a feeble smile appeared on my mouth.

"Thank you." I said, running fingers through my hair. I wished I could say the same about him. He didn't look particularly bad last night, the black color suited him. It's just in front of Ryan, he looked like a nobody. And I didn't want to be engaged to a nobody. It wasn't his fault though, not everyone is meant to be special.

He tried to lengthen our conversation but I cut it short, saying I had a headache and I needed to sleep now.

...

"At least show us a pic of your fiancé." Karen pouted when I told her about my engagement. I had lied to them that it was a private ceremony although Mom and Dad specially insisted on inviting both Karen and Riley.

I knew once they found out how I was forced to do this marriage, this news would spread like wildfire. Both of them were rich spoilt brat and nobody could expect sincerity from their shallow selves.

Why does it feel like I am describing myself?

"I don't have a pic." I lied again. I wasn't going to give them any chance of making fun of me because of Aaron.

"Liar." Riley mocked, flicking her silky pastel pink hair backwards.

"Seriously, I don't have his picture. Why would I lie?" I lied again, this time adding a hint of annoyance in my tone.

They both shrugged and all three of us walked towards the parking lot. The last class was over and we were supposed to visit a nearby cafe today. When we reached the parking lot, my eyes fell on the familiar car I saw in the lake house.

Ryan?

That's when I noticed him standing there, his eyes searching around for someone. Leaving Riley and Karen, I rushed towards him and surprised him from behind.

"Here you are." he said when he found me grinning at him.

"Were you looking for me?" I asked in a surprised voice, not expecting him to be here for me.

"Who else?" he shrugged, smirking with his perfectly plump lips. "I don't have many friends here so I thought it would be great if we could hang out."

I felt my cheeks warm up under his piercing gaze. Too lost in our conversation, I almost forgot about my friends who had now walked towards us.

"Wow Clara! Your fiancé is so hot." Riley commented, eyeing Ryan up and down with an admiring gaze.

"How come you always get the best of everything?" pouted Karen, showing her pearly white teeth to Ryan.

"No I am not-" Ryan was about to cut them off when I intervened.

"Of course, I always get what I want." I smirked, putting my sunglasses on. "Bye ladies, I need to go on a lunch date with my handsome fiancé."

Saying this, I laced my fingers with Ryan's and pulled him along with me. While walking, I felt his confused gaze on me so I stopped in my tracks to answer him, "Listen, I am sorry but-"

"No, I understand." he said, passing me a sincere smile. "It's not the best idea to show Aaron's picture to these girls. I know how shallow teenagers can be and Aaron doesn't exactly qualify as a.. Um.. You know."

"Oh, Thank God you understand." I sighed in relief that I could make him understand without sounding selfish. This time, he gripped my hand, pulling me with him towards his car and I didn't bother to pull it away from it.

He took me to an expensive place and we ordered salads for both of us. He was the kind of person who put a lot of effort on their body and I really admired such characteristics in a person.

"So we both are health freaks." he chuckled and the depth of his voice made me shiver. I liked the way his eyes changed its color from green to blue according to the color of his clothes.

"Apparently yes." I said and lifted the corner of my lips.

"How come someone like you ended with someone like my brother?" he raised his eyebrows and a ball of nerves erupted in my stomach.

"You don't know about the deal?" I asked and his eyebrows drew closer.

"What deal?" he asked.

That's when I realised that he didn't know the truth of our relationship. By the time waiter came with our order, I told him everything from our bankruptcy, his father's offer, my meeting with Aaron, upto the engagement. After I silenced, he looked like he was in some deep thought. His eyes were fixated on me and I couldn't look away from them.

"It's unfair to you Clara. You deserved better than a forced relationship." he said in a sad tone. Propping his elbows on the table, he placed both his hands on mine, the warmth of his hands creating tingles on my skin.

"Hmm." I nodded in a dejected tone, letting his hands massage my palm gently.

After so long, I finally felt like someone understood my point of view without considering me the villain and that just made him much more attractive in my eyes.

___________________________