[18]

Amara's POV

"What's the deal with you being an atheist?" I ask Peter directly while we work on our biology notes.

"So, one of my friends exposed me, huh?" He chuckles.

"Why? You weren't going to tell me?" I raise a brow.

"Uh... I didn't think it was that important?" He looks at me nervously.

I give him a look.

"Okay, okay." He puts his hands up in defence. "I knew it was important but if it helps, I guess I was born into a Muslim family?"

"Peter..." I sigh. "I feel like that night was a mistake on my part."

Peter stops writing. "Amara, if this is about religion—"

"It's not that simple. It's not just religion. We're a disastrous destruction just waiting to happen." I look down at my hands, feeling my heart breaking slightly.

"Like a ticking bomb?" He asks.

"Exactly! So, you understand?" I say.

"That's sort of racist, isn't it?" He smirks.

"Peter!" I slightly smack his arm. "I'm serious!"

Talking to Peter is almost like talking to wall, sometimes. He picks and chooses what he wants to listen to, usually they have to be in his favour.

Now, for example, is a perfect example of something he doesn't want to hear because it's not something he wants to deal with.

"Okay, everyone. There's five minutes till class is over. I'll let you guys out early today." The professor announces.

Dina wasn't feeling well so she didn't come to class today.

I pack my things and begin to walk away alone.

Just as Peter doesn't want to deal with us, I don't want to deal with him either.

"Amara, wait." He grabs my wrist.

"I'm not in the mood for games, Peter. I—" Just as I was about to go off on a rampage, he places a soft, lingering kiss on my forehead.

I freeze instantly in my spot.

"I promise we'll have a serious talk about this after my next class. I'll text you, okay?"

He doesn't wait for an answer from me. Instead, he just walks away.

The professor blinks a few times at me, trying to process what he just saw.

"I knew I always made the perfect partners." He mutters to himself.

My cheeks start burning from embarrassment and I dash out of the classroom quicker than I've ever gone.

• • •

Meet me near the benches that are on the campus garden.

I stare at the text from Peter, wondering if this time it'll be worth my time. He had to pick one of the most scenic places on campus? What does he plan on doing now...

I don't know what we are but he keeps doing things that confuse me constantly.

He doesn't say that we're officially a couple but neither does he say that we're not. The second I want to talk about it, he doesn't want to hear me out.

Whenever I'm trying to clarify anything, he shows physical affection, making me forget how to breathe.

Once I look up, I realize I've walked all the way to the garden. I've been so deep in my thoughts, that I hadn't even realized that I've walked half way across campus.