10. FEEL REAL

CHAPTER TEN
[FEEL REAL]

"Just because I showed up doesn't mean you have to leave, Molly

"Just because I showed up doesn't mean you have to leave, Molly." Kai says, in an almost demeaning tone. He puts his hands up and pushes himself up onto the dock, then stood up in front of her.

She kept her eyes locked on his. "How many times do I have to say this to get it to stick?" Molly narrowed her eyes at him. "I don't like you."

Kai's eyes trailed up to the side of her face, and he gently lifted his hand up to pull out a small leaf that was stuck in a strand of her hair. Molly flinches slightly, and watched him as his eyes followed his hand, before flicking the leaf into the water.

Molly looked at him confusedly, and he raised her eyebrows at her. "Sorry, I wasn't listening. What were you saying?" He asks.
Molly shakes her head and spins around, beginning to walk away. "I'm kidding." Kai says, following her. "I know why you're such an asshole to me."

Molly almost felt bad, she wasn't a mean person. She tried her best to be kind to everyone— but those thoughts were quickly overrun as she forced herself to remember what he's done. "Then you must understand why I don't want to be around you all the time." Molly says, after turning back around to face him.

Kai stepped closer to her. "I know—That if you weren't such an asshole to me..." He was barely an inch away from her. "Then you'd be all over me." He whispered.

Molly swallowed as she stared up at him. While he was partly correct— Molly owed him nothing. He didn't deserve her kindness, or her pity— or anything else. She mustered up the only words that she could sort out in her brain in that moment. "I think that goes both ways." Molly says, lifting her chin up at him.

It grew silent for a second, as the two stared at each other intensely.

But Molly interrupted the stillness by turning around again and walking opposite of him. "You think I'm an asshole to you?" Kai questions.

"Mhm." Molly responds, the dock creaking beneath her feet.

"What?!" Kai laughs. "I'm so nice to you. I made you breakfast."

She reached the end of the dock. And she should've just gone home— she knew it was the right decision. But a part of her wanted to stay, and bicker with Kai. As much as she hated to admit it, even to herself— he made her feel important. Maybe it was the fact that she was the only person he could be around... But she took what she could get. Even with the arguing, and the slightly terrifying psychopathic tendencies— she was drawn to him.

Molly turned around. "You're right, Kai." She smiles faintly. "Your breakfast really made up for the fact that you shot an arrow in my stomach, blew up my car, hit me with a rock, knocked me out with a spell, ch—"

"Chained me up twice, blah blah blah." Kai interrupts. "Are you ever gonna let that go?"

"I'll let it go when I feel like I can trust you." Molly says, the conversation taking a slight turn in a serious direction.