Chapter 18

Ash Wednesday, 1671

Tuileries Palace

"Please, can't we watch the sunrise together? The sun will come up any minute." She gave the king wide, pleading eyes. Around them the room buzzed with the throng of voices. Music played and those still sober enough to stay on their feet danced. A few drunks passed out in corners or in chairs. Exhausted servants carried drinks about and cleaned up spilled wine. A few corners smelled like urine.

"Is it dawn already? Why does time always fly by when I'm with you?"

"Think of how romantic it will be to watch sunrise together. We've watched the sunset before, but never sunrise."

"If it pleases you we can go to the gardens to watch." He offered her his arm.

Athénaïs grinned. As they picked their way through the busy ball, she silently cheered at Louise's absence. Louis was bound to invite her to join if he caught sight of her. Louise horned in on her time with the king enough as is. They shared too much, not just rooms but carriage rides with the king and walks. They entertained dignitaries with him. Too many of her memories included Louise.

The gardens were full of courtiers, including those who snuck into shadowy corners to catch private time with an illicit lover. With wine coursing through her veins she didn't care whenever she caught the scent of piss or caught sight of Monsieur kissing the Chevalier who'd been welcomed back to court. No one but Louise would be able to ruin her good mood. The queen already left hours ago for bed, leaving her to dance with the king as much as she pleased.

They sat on a bench providing a perfect view of the sky. Rosy pinks streaked the sky and she let out a sigh of joy. "It's so beautiful."

"A perfect morning to end the perfect night. I'm glad I got this time with you."

"I wish we got more time together." She gestured toward the skies as smears of orange melted into the pinks. "I don't know which is prettier, sunrise or sunset."

"Whichever one I spend with you is best." He took her hand in his and they grinned at each other.

Giddiness crept through her wine-clouded mind. "Moments like these are perfect," she said. "I don't want to have to go to sleep. Tomorrow will pale in comparison."

"Allow me to make it better for you then. I should be able to find time for a visit before dinner." He leaned forward to kiss her forehead. "Some days I can't help but to fantasize what Versailles would be like if you were my queen." He brushed his thumb over her jaw. "I've dreamed of it more than once."

Her heart skipped a beat and she smiled. "I wish I could be your queen more than you could ever know." She rested her head on his shoulder and reached up to twirl a piece of his hair around her finger. The soft strands of dark hair felt silky against her skin. She preferred to feel it against her neck and breasts, but here in the garden it would be too risky.

"There you are," Monsieur said as he stepped into view, blocking the sky. "I've been looking for you."

"What is it, Philippe?" the king asked.

"Our cousin won't stop asking for you. I think she wants to press the case of her marriage some more."

The king rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Fine. I will go speak with her." He turned to Athénaïs and bowed. "I will see you again soon, madame."

"Sire." She curtseyed. She wandered after the two men as they headed back to the ball. Her slower pace kept her out of eavesdropping range as their heads pressed together in hushed whispers. She didn't want to leave the peace of the gardens behind yet despite the chilly air. Tonight had been perfect from her dances with the king to their stolen time in the gardens. In the quiet of the gardens she could indulge in it all a little more before facing the new day.