Second Mistake

It concerned you that Connor and Aiden hadn't come back from breakfast yet. It had surely already been two hours since they left. You were curled up in the chair by the fireplace, reading a book. Occasionally, you would glance at the door and strain your ears to hear footsteps, but there weren't any.

Growing bored of the book, you shut it and sat it on the chair as you stood up. You made your way towards the door and opened it, peering around the hallway. It was quiet and empty. You frowned and stepped out, making your way down the hall.

You hadn't been truly left alone since that first day. Maybe it was time for you to explore.

What's there to explore? You're just looking for trouble now. The logical part of you thought, but you brushed it off and went down a hallway you weren't familiar with. It felt colder the further down the hall you went. It felt ominous. You tried a few doors, but it was mostly storage closets and empty rooms.

You were about to give up as you slowly opened a door that was tucked in the corner of the hall. You were surprised to find that the room wasn't empty. There was furniture covered by white sheets and a door leading into a neighboring room. You stepped inside and shut the door behind you. You wandered through the room, but there wasn't much there except for a cold fireplace and a sheet-covered couch. 

Concluding that the first room didn't satisfy your curiosity, you opened the door to the next room. You were surprised to see a bedroom. It was similar to Connor and Aidens, however there was only one bed. Another door was on the far right of the room and bookshelves and two desks lined the walls. What was this place?

You walked over to a desk to see a blond man in his late 30s smiling next to a brunette lady in a photo. They were out in a meadow and the man had a blue suit on, the woman a white dress. Your gaze traveled to the next one. The couple looked slightly older and the woman was obviously pregnant. Next. Two babies sleeping in the couples arms. You slowly realized whose room you were in.

"(Y/n). What are you doing here?" A voice softly asked and you turned around to see Aiden and Connor standing in the doorway.

"W-well...I....H-how did you know I was here?" You struggled to come up with an explanation.

"We figured you'd go exploring sooner or later, although I wish any other room would have peaked your interest." Connor sighed.

You stared at the ground, "Its your parents room isn't it."

"Yes." Aiden replied as he looked around.

You picked up a frame and handed it to them, "There's their faces. You said you forgot, so why don't you ever come back and look? The photos are right here."

Connor took the frame and tossed it to the ground, uninterested. "I don't have a desire to remember them."

You looked down at the now shattered frame with wide eyes, "But they're your parents! They seem so kind and-"

"(Y/n). Stop talking." Aiden commanded as he glared at you.

"But why! Surely, you feel something for them. They...They..." You were so confused. Those people seemed so nice. Why were Connor and Aiden being so cold?

Connor grabbed your wrist and started pulling you towards the door, Aiden walking beside him. "Come on. We're leaving."

You pulled against him, "No! I want to explore more! I want to know about them!"

Aiden whirled around, "There's nothing to know! Now just stop!"

You dug your heels into the ground, "Not until you tell me why you don't like them."