Chapter 5

It was the next day, and the last day of the conference for the Alphas.

I refused to leave the room I shared with Kay. And she was kind enough to grab my luggage from Kyles room.

I also stayed silent about everything. The only person that knew was Kay. She covered for me by saying I was sick.

Obviously that led to mom worrying and trying to check up on me, but I just kept the door locked and refused to unlock it.

I really did not want to run into this Moretti guy. I did not want to be forced to Italy. I just wanted to go back to America, and to leave this damn country. I've had enough of it already.

I guess I've been sitting around the window a little too long, because sure enough I heard the knock only Kay knew to get in.

'Is anyone with you?' I mindlink.

'No. It's just me. And I have food, so open up.'

I jump out of the seat and open the door for her. Sure enough, it's just her and a tray of food.

I close the door and it locks automatically with a click. But I still lock it again on the upper latch.

"That conference went by fast?" I question, and take a slice of pizza off the tray.

Kay nodded. "Yeah. There wasn't much to discuss after the council summed up that everything was up to standards."

"That's interesting. Usually they change a bunch of rules and training procedures." I take a bite out of my food.

She shrugged. "I guess not this year. But hey, we would go celebrate! For things finally not changing, you know?"

I shook my head. "No way. Not for me at least. I'm not leaving this room until we're leaving for the airport."

Kay laughed. "Alright. Well, I'm going to go out and get a few drinks then. Maybe I can find my mate as well." She winked.

"You go do that. I'll be here when you get back." I grab another slice of pizza.

"Promise?"

"I promise."

Kay smiles and gives me a small kiss on the cheek. I groan and use my shirt sleeve to wipe away her germs.

"I'll be back late. Don't stay up for me."

I nodded, and with that, she walked out.

———

Taking a deep breath, I realized that I needed to open a window.

But instead I opened the balcony screen door and made my way to the railing.

Nights felt so peaceful, and calm. It will forever be one of my favorite feelings in the world.

I'm brought out of my trance by a knock at the door.

Slowly, I walk back into the room and approach the door with caution. It wasn't the special knock me and Kay had between us.

I grabbed a steak knife off the tray from earlier, and go look in the peep hole on the door.

There was no one?

"Do you realize you can't hide from me?"

I scream and turn around, holding the knife out in front me defensively.

And there stood the one and only Alpha Moretti.

"How did you get in here?" I try to put up a strong front, but my own voice fails me when you hear it shake.