19

Waiting for Edric to arrive at the estate the royal family owned was about as interesting as watching paint dry. Matis clearly didn't want to murder anyone. He simply wanted the throne and thought he found a way to get it without anyone getting physically harmed.

I wasn't sure what I'd do with him when I was queen. The idea of me ruling an entire race was laughable at best. I didn't follow were politics in any fashion. I didn't even follow human politics. I could maybe name the president of the United States. I stuck to my little hundred acre home in the middle of nowhere.

Matis had me locked in the bedroom and warned me against disclosing anything to Edric. The room wasn't nearly as big and grand as our bedroom at home, but it was probably the second nicest place I had been in. The walls were deep mahogany wood and the floors were covered in an expensive burgundy and gold threaded rug. The deep tray ceiling housed a massive gold and crystal chandelier. An entire wall was lined with books with a fireplace cut out. Another wall was made entirely of floor to ceiling windows though there was no balcony like we had at home.

I paced the room, waiting for Edric. I hadn't even let the idea of him being straight seep in yet. I wondered if I should wait to be home before breaching the subject or jump on the opportunity. I partially understood why he lied to me, but I didn't feel great about it.

Was he afraid I would tell Dominic? He knew he could trust me. I didn't know why he didn't tell me, but I had every intention of finding out. It was going to be torture to wait before grilling him. I deserved some answers. I was sick of the royals and all their backstabbing and secrets.

It was inevitable that I ruled the werewolves. I didn't want the position and I didn't know how to do it, but Dominic and Edric were pretty clear that I needed to do it. I didn't want a royal massacre on my conscience.

One thing I did know was that I refused to rule like Ivan and Catherine. I was going to be as transparent as possible. It was better for everyone if I didn't hide my motives. After the upheaval, people were going to be skeptical of me, of the entire system, and I wanted the werewolf community to feel secure.

Just thinking about everything that needed to change I was overwhelmed. My first few years were going to be incredibly difficult; I had no doubt about several attempts being made on the throne and myself. I was going to need a team I could trust.

I dug through the large heavy wood desk in search of paper and pen. When Edric showed up, I doubted we would be able to talk. I didn't know if I was being paranoid or smart though it was interesting how much those two traits crossed over.

I didn't have to wait long for Edric's arrival. I heard him coming down the long hallway, to my surprise alone. He almost always had someone with him.

The guard outside the door unlocked it and let Edric in. At the sight of him, anger filled my chest and I scribbled down what I knew on a piece of paper.

"You're early," I stated though I knew my sour expression gave away my true feelings.

"What's with the look?" He questioned as he walked over to the desk.

I crumpled the paper up, wound my thin arm back and threw it directly at him. Surprise colored his golden eyes as he caught the note and read it.

Understanding overtook his features.

"Amina," he started slowly.

"I don't want to hear it. I just want to get through the funeral and go home."

"I can explain."

"Don't bother. You can sleep on the fucking couch," I hissed.

"Fine," he bit back. "But when we get home, we will discuss this."