-19-

IMPORTANT: The next chapter is going to have a steamy scene😏Should I make it more explicit than I usually do? I don't want to make it "dirty" through. I want it to be more romantic. What should I do?

**

"Sorry Court, but Geoff and I are having Christmas Eve dinner at my parents house tonight. I would invite you, but you'd probably be third-wheeling."

Courtney sighed. "It's ok. I was just wondering."

"I'm so sorry. I'll totally make it up to you!"

"No, it's fine Bridgette. You don't have to."

"No, I will! Maybe sometime after Christmas?"

"I guess...only if you want."

"Of course I want to! That's why I offered, silly! Just pretend like it's not Christmas Eve or Christmas Day until we all hang out. Will your mom still be gone?"

"She won't be back until January 3rd."

"Perfect! We'll figure out something we can do."

"Alright. Just let me know."

"Will do. Bye!"

"Bye." Courtney hung up.

It was great that Bridgette had offered to hang out after, but that didn't change the fact that her mom was always gone for Christmas.

Ever since Courtney was thirteen years old, her mother would take these business trips right around the Holidays. She had Bridgette's family to stay with for the first couple years. That was until Geoff came along. From there on out, she was always with him for special occasions. So ultimately, that left her alone. Sure she had DJ, but he wasn't really someone she'd like to spend time with without Geoff or Bridgette there. And then there was Gwen. They were friends, but not that close.

At least she had her schoolwork. She needed to catch up on that anyways. Or get a head start, that is. Only to make up for all the days she put off studying or homework. Yes, Courtney had actually procrastinated. At first she wasn't so sure, but after a month of doing it, she found out that she could easily get by with mostly B's and a couple of C's here and there. And the best part was, if she got a failing grade on a test or detention, the school could no longer call her mom since she was eighteen.

Courtney found it crazy that she was freaking out about it just a month ago. She realized that being uptight would only make things worse. In fact, she was contemplating on whether she should get a head start on her studies right now. The FaceTime call on her phone answered her question.

"Hey Princess," her boyfriend's face appeared.

She smiled. "Hey Dunky."

"I heard from an anonymous source that you need someone to hang out with on Christmas Eve."

Courtney mentally groaned, knowing exactly who this 'anonymous' source was. "Um...that's not true," she replied.

He smirked. "You're a terrible liar, you know that?"

"Ok, fine. My mom's away for a business trip."

"Seriously? On Christmas?"

"Yeah. It's been like that for a while. I survived."

Duncan frowned. "I can't spend Christmas knowing that you're alone, babe."

"Duncan, you really don't have to come over."

"Well...actually," he chuckled nervously. "I can't really come over because I have family visiting tonight. I was thinking that maybe you would be able to come."