twenty three! ⋆ WE'RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE

( songs for the chapter )⋆ blue bayou // roy orbinson⋆ live and let die // paul mccartney

⋆ blue bayou // roy orbinson
⋆ live and let die // paul mccartney

( songs for the chapter )⋆ blue bayou // roy orbinson⋆ live and let die // paul mccartney

NIGHT CAME FAR TOO QUICKLY and the five of them were still stuck on the school bus. Lucas was keeping watch at the top of the vehicle while the rest of them stayed inside. Steve and Kate sat next to each other one the floor with Max sitting ahead of them, as Dustin nervously paced up and down the aisle.

"So you really fought one of these things before?" Max asked the brunette.

He nodded, pointing over to Kate. "She's alive because of me."

Normally, she would roll her eyes at such a cocky response. But, while he wasn't exactly being humble, he wasn't lying either. If he hadn't ran back in that night in 1983, Kate probably wouldn't be there with them right now. It was a crazy thing to think about.

"And you're, like, totally, a hundred percent sure it wasn't a bear?"

Before Steve could respond, Dustin blurted, "Don't be an idiot. It obviously wasn't a bear... Why are you even here if you don't believe us? Just go home."

The two girls shared a shocked look before Max suddenly stood up. "Geez. Someone's cranky. Past your bedtime?"

She climbed up the ladder to sit with Lucas.

"That's good," Steve praised the curly-headed boy. "Just show her you don't care–"

Kate shook her head. "No, not good. Dustin, you're being an asshole."

"You have to pretend you don't care, so they'll want you."

"I don't care," Dustin affirmed with a shrug.

Kate rolled her eyes before standing, looking down at Steve. "And that's working so well with Nancy right now, huh?"

Steve shrugged before smirked. "I don't care."

She walked towards the latter like Max had just moments prior, catching the brunette winking at Dustin. "Why are you winking, Steve? Stop."

Kate climbed at the rungs of the ladder, seeing Lucas and the redhead sitting beside each other. The blonde took the binoculars that were idly sitting next to the boy, looking around for a moment.