sixteen

"I don't believe you" I said quickly, shaking my head. There was no way he'd done something like that. He'd told me he hadn't and I'd trusted him, because he hadn't given me any reason not to.

Joel looked at me, a hint of worry in his blue eyes. "It's the truth, Raine."

"No, it isn't" I replied, refusing to believe him. It made no sense. Harry would've never done something like that. Why would he have got close to me, if he had? Why would he have brought up Theo's name? He knew I would've started to ask questions in the second he had, so why would he have risked it? It didn't make any sense.

"Why would I lie to you?" Joel replied, but for some reason it didn't make me feel reassured in the slightest. I knew that something was off, I could sense it even though I couldn't really tell what it was. There was something wrong with that situation and even though I didn't know where the issue resided, I knew it existed.

"I don't know" I said, giving him a suspicious look. I didn't really trust him, but at the same time I didn't know why I shouldn't have trusted him. He was my best friend after all. And yet, for some reason, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

He sighed, turning his head to look out of the window, the light shining on his golden hair for a second before he looked at me again. "I'm not."

"I'm going" I simply told him, feeling way too tired to be having that conversation, just wanting to go home and trying to make sense of what he'd said.

I was about to walk out of the door when he grabbed my arm, not letting me leave, and I turned around to look at him quickly.

"Just let me go, Joel" I said with a little sigh, hoping that he would do it without making a big deal out of it.

"Where?" He replied quickly, as if he expected a different answer than what was obvious.

I gave him a weird glance. "Home."

"Sure" he said, finally letting my arm go. "Need Indie to come with you?"

I took a step towards the door quickly to put some distance between us. "No, I don't" I replied fast, not having any intention of having all my actions reported to him. "Just leave me alone."

I walked out of the room as soon as I finished speaking, not wanting to give him a chance to say anything else. I went back to the living room just to discover that everyone seemed to have forgotten what had happened just some minutes before, and the party was still going as if it had never been interrupted.

I spotted Indigo in a corner and I was quick to grab my coat and make a beeline for the front door, not feeling like talking to her at all, especially after she'd told Joel about Harry and I. That had been a low move, and I had no intention of forgiving her just yet. When I'd told her about it, I'd never expected her to say it around, and I'd thought it went without saying too, considering we were best friends.

I got out of the house and started making my way to the street quickly, glad that Indigo hadn't decided to follow me.

"Hey!" I heard all of sudden, and the blood froze in my veins for a second before I recognised the sound of the familiar voice.

I stopped walking and turned around, discovering that Harry had been waiting outside and was now walking towards me, a paper tissue in his hand that he brought to his nose every once in a while, the black shirt he was wearing still a bit crumpled up by the fight.

I felt a bit guilty as I glanced at him, knowing that I'd completely ignored him just to walk away with Joel, not even pausing to see if he was okay considering that my friend had clearly been the one to attack him. I knew I should've stayed with Harry instead, but I'd seen it as my only chance to get some answers, and I'd taken it. I wondered if he'd minded, or if he'd understood why I'd made that decision.