NINETEEN: THE GAP

Chapter Nineteen: The Gap
"Turn around, look at what you see."

•

Eve held on tightly to Max's hand as they hid behind the concession stand with Mike and Eleven. To be honest, she was on the verge of a panic attack, knowing that terrifying monster was there to kill her, Eleven and her friends.

They listened as they heard shouting coming from a radio, sounding like Dustin, calling to confirm their safety.

This was far from safe.

Max wrapped her arm around Eve to keep her calm, the girl laying her head on Max's chest as she closed her eyes tight, hearing the stomps of the monster get closer and closer every second.

She opened her eyes when she heard it roar, the little piece that had once been inside of elevens leg joining back onto its body.

"Oh, my god," Eve mouthed to herself as she felt her whole body shake in fear. She heard another roar from behind her and tensed up in Max's arms, knowing it was merely metres away and hungry for blood, before it stomped away.

None of the four people moved, however, not for a couple seconds anyway, until they knew it was far away enough that they could check to see what it was doing.

Mike carefully got up, peering over the stand they were hidden behind, and observed the monster, before ducking back down again.

"It's turned away," Mike whispered to them, "if we go up the stairs now, we'll make it."

"Are you crazy?" Eve whispered to him with wide eyes, there was no way they could do that.

"No way," Max disagrees too, "not with El's leg and Eve's stomach."

"Adrenalines kicked in," Eve says to Max, "I can't feel it."

"We have to try," Mike whispers to them.

"There's another way to get out," El speaks up in a whisper, making all three teens look at her, "through the gap."

Mike looked over at the mindflayer once more, it still not looking, before ducking down and panting softly, "Okay," he grabs elevens hand, "now."

The four teens quickly ran over to the gap, getting through the broken doorway when suddenly El kicked into a metal stand, making it fall and create a large noise.

"Shit," Eve whispered, pulling the three to the corner behind a display area. The four leaned against the wall as the mindflayer broke into the gap, screeching as it did so.