28 ; down in the chamber ✔︎

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 1 : SCENE 2 : CHAPTER 28

They were standing at the end of a very long, dimly lit chamber. Towering stone pillars entwined with more carved serpents rose to support a ceiling lost in darkness, casting long, black shadows through the odd, greenish gloom that filled the place.

Her heart beating very fast, Y/N stood listening to the chill silence. Could the basilisk be lurking in a shadowy corner, behind a pillar? And where was Ginny? So many questions ran through her mind, each of them confusing her more than the last.

Without saying anything to each other, Harry and Y/N pulled out their wands and moved forward between the serpentine columns. Every careful footstep echoed loudly off the shadowy walls. They kept their eyes narrowed, ready to clamp them shut at the smallest sign of movement. The hollow eye sockets of the stone snakes seemed to be following them. More than once, with a jolt of the stomach, Y/N though she saw one stir.

Then, as they drew level with the last pair of pillars, a statue high as the Chamber itself loomed into view, standing against the back wall.

Y/N had to crane her neck to look up into the giant face above: It was ancient and monkeyish, with a long, thin beard that fell almost to the bottom of the wizard's sweeping stone robes, where two enormous grey feet stood on the smooth Chamber floor. And between the feet, facedown, lay a small, black-robed figure with flaming-red hair.

Harry and Y/N's eyes met.

"Ginny!" Y/N muttered, and she and Harry sprinted to her and dropped beside her body.

"Ginny – don't be dead – please don't be dead –" Harry muttered desperately and flung his wand aside, grabbed Ginny's shoulders, and turned her over. Her face was white as marble, and as cold, yet her eyes were closed, so she wasn't Petrified. But then she must be –

Y/N quickly tore open Ginny's Gryffindor tie and placed her cold index and middle fingers on her carotid as steadily as possible, feeling around. Luckily, there was a pulse, but it was very faint. Not knowing any healing spells, Y/N started CPR, having learned it a long ago.

"Ginny, please wake up," Harry muttered, watching Y/N closely. Ginny didn't seem to be getting better, however, she wasn't getting any worse.

"She won't wake," said a soft voice.

Harry jumped and spun around on his knees, whileas Y/N simply looked up for a split second.

A tall, black-haired boy was leaning against the nearest pillar, watching. He was strangely blurred around the edges, as though Y/N were looking at him through a misted window. Y/N didn't know who this was, but Harry seemed to.

"Tom – Tom Riddle?"

The boy nodded, not taking his eyes off Harry's face.

"What d'you mean, she won't wake?" Harry said desperately. "She's not – she's not – ?"