$21

It was fun just to hang out with Alfie and eat a bunch of junk food, and to watch some of my favorite movies. I always enjoyed Alfie’s comments during movies. Most people hated the type of people who talked throughout movies, but I enjoyed it. I love talking about the things going on, and getting other people’s either hilarious, or serious comments about a scene. After we watched the Rugrats Movie, we watched SuperBad, and now we were watching Easy A. By this time, it was about midnight, and Jersey hadn’t returned home yet, and neither had Gavin. Maybe they were out somewhere together or something, but I didn’t worry too much about it. No matter how immature they were, they were both adults. Even if Jersey was my girlfriend, she had every right to stay out as long as she wanted. Plus, I was enjoying myself with Alfie.

I was halfway asleep on my sleeping brother’s shoulder when my phone buzzed.

Can you meet me at the hospital right now? I promise I’m not up to anything. I just really need you right now. – Nicky

I furrowed my brows at the message and tucked my phone back into my pocket. Why the hell would Nicky want to meet up with me? We hadn’t talked or seen each other in months, and I liked that. I began watching the movie again, but my phone buzzed again.

My dad died. – Nicky

It felt like my heart fell down in my stomach. Even if I didn’t like Nicky, I knew this was a hard time for her. Her dad was the only person she had family-wise, and now he was gone. I’ve met her father many of times. He was always so nice, and sweet, way nicer than his daughter; and he adored Nicky. He adored me. He always seem perfectly healthy so the news sent a shock to me. I swallowed hard. I had a choice to make. Either I had to meet Nicky at the hospital and comfort her, or leave her by herself to suffer in a dark time. I tried to think if it was me in Nicky’s shoes. Would she come and comfort me if one of my parents died? Of course, she wouldn’t. She hated my parents, and my parents hated her. But one thing was for certain, I was a better person than Nicky. I had to do the right thing.

Slowly I stood up from the couch, to make sure I didn’t wake Alfie. I sent a quick text to Nicky.

On my way – Finley

I went into Jersey’s and I’s room and looked at myself in the mirror. Why did I even care about my appearance? I rolled my eyes at myself in the mirror before walking over to put on a pair of sneakers. Grabbing my house key from the dresser, I rushed out of the door, and got into the fancy elevator. The elevator always brought back memories. Like the two times, Jersey and I had an awkward ride up after an argument or maybe the time Jersey pushed me against the wall and started stripping me in the very elevator. She didn’t care if there was a camera in the elevator, she actually wanted the security guards to watch. After getting me barely naked, we had retreated back into the penthouse and scurried past a sleeping Gavin in the living room and went into Jersey’s room. I shook not only the thought out of my mind, but the stupid grin that was on my face.

I had to hail a cab to get me to the hospital. When I got there, I walked through the automatic doors and into the emergency room of sick patients. One woman was bent as she held her stomach, a man looked as if he was going to die at any time, and a little boy sat there holding his arm, as his mother wept. He must’ve broke it. I saw Nicky near the two. She was sitting alone and staring at the white wall adjacent from her. She looked much different. It looked as if she had lost weight. Has she even been eating since I left? I walked over to the girl and sat down beside her in a chair without a word. It was quiet. She didn’t even look towards me. For a second, I thought she didn’t notice that I had sat beside her. That’s when I heard her sniffle. Was she crying? Nicky never cried.