37

Everett parked the car in their driveway and let out a weary sigh. It had been a long and exhausting day made intolerable after his wife failed to show up for lunch, which could only mean one thing. She was still mad at him.

The problem was that he didn't know what he'd said or done yesterday to land him in trouble, so he had no clue how to make it right. Gathering his nerve, he walked to the back door, his brow lowering in a puzzled frown when he found it locked. He jiggled the doorknob and reached into his front pocket to retrieve the key but stopped short.

The house stood eerily quiet and dark. There was no clatter of pans or smell of food cooking to greet him. No sign at all that Elyria waited for him inside.

A sense of foreboding filled him, hastening his attempt to unlock the door. What if she lay dead, bleeding, or injured in some way? His hands shook so badly that he dropped the key.

Muttering a curse, he bent and picked it up, then took a deep breath before slamming it into the lock and entering his home. Terror-inducing scenarios of how he might find her, one after another, flashed through his mind until he searched the entire house.

Everything remained as he'd left that morning, but he couldn't find Elyria anywhere. He glanced at his watch and walked to the back door, hoping she'd gone on a walk and lost track of time.

No doubt she'd return any minute. Three times, he found himself heading out in search of her, only to turn back for fear they'd cross paths. But after thirty minutes and still no sign of her, he walked over to Marcus's home and knocked.

Several minutes passed before the door swung open. "Evening, Cap," Marcus frowned and stepped forward, "Somethin' wrong?"

Everett forced himself to remain calm and said, "You haven't seen Elyria, have you?"

Marcus nodded. "Saw her on my route around 12:00 or 1:00, I think."

Everett's stomach fell to his toes in dread. She might have been gone for almost six hours if Marcus proved correct. "Any idea where she was heading?"

"I assumed she was on her way to see you." Marcus stepped outside and closed the door. "She isn't home?"

Everett muttered a curse and shook his head.

Marcus settled a hand on Everett's left shoulder, giving it a short, comforting squeeze. "Hop in my truck; we'll go find her."

For the next hour, they drove around town, looking for any sign of Elyria—a feat made difficult by the early winter sunset and moonless night.

On the verge of tears and with his gut knotted in fear for where Elyria might be, Everett hung halfway out his window with his flashlight and scanned the surrounding area.

"Don't worry, Cap," Marcus murmured, "we'll find her any second now."

But another fifteen minutes passed without a sign of her. Tension filled the air in the truck, so thick it made breathing difficult.

Everett ran a hand through his hair and wiped his eyes, which were clouding with moisture. Hopeless desperation clenched around his heart every passing moment without sight of her.

When they came to a dead-end a quarter-mile west of the school and saw nothing except a vacant field beyond, Marcus pulled a U-turn and then came to a sudden, jerky stop. The headlight beams fell on a huddled figure at the base of a massive alder tree.

Everett looked at him in question. "What is it?"

Marcus blinked and shook his head. "My eyes must be playin' tricks with the shadows." But then the figure looked up, and Elyria's pale face caught the light. Marcus gasped and tugged at Everett's sleeve. "THERE!"

Everett followed where Marcus pointed, then shouted in glee and burst from the car. He ran to her without the aid of his cane, crying out, "PEGLEG."

She slowly stood, her eyes wide. "Everett?" She took a few steps toward him, then broke into a run.

At her side in the next ten seconds, he wrapped his arms around her and held her close. "Are you hurt?"

She shook her head and clung to him, weeping as he pressed kisses to her face. "I'm sorry; I got lost."

"It's all right. We found you."

She pulled back slightly, "We?"

He nodded and wiped the moisture from her dirt-streaked cheeks. "Marcus and I have been out looking for you." He kissed her again, "You scared me."

"I scared myself," she whispered, hugging him tight again.

"Are you sure you're not hurt?"

She nodded, "I'm fine."

"Come on," he said gently with a kiss to her brow, "let's go home."

They spent the quick drive home in relieved silence, Elyria sitting snuggly between him and Marcus, her hand tightly held in Everett's grasp. His heart hammered in his chest. All the possibilities that might have happened to her if they hadn't found her in time made him sick.

Once home, Marcus bid them goodnight only to show up ten minutes later with a half-eaten shepherd's pie. "I thought you two could use a hearty meal without the worry of having to scrounge one up yourselves."

"Thanks, Marcus," Everett said with a grateful smile. His throat tightened with emotion, and tears stung his eyes. "For everything."

Marcus nodded and smiled, then turned to leave with a wave, "Happy to help... you and your wife have a good night, Cap."

Everett closed the door and locked it, then turned to find Elyria standing there. "Everything all right?"

She opened her mouth to speak, then snapped it closed and smiled. "Just tired."

Why did he have the sense she'd been about to tell him something before deciding against it? He frowned. "Are you hungry? Marcus brought over some shepherd's pie that looks pretty tasty."

Her face took on a greenish hue, and she covered her mouth with her hand. "I think I'll soak in the tub and go to bed if that's alright with you?"

"Sure," he murmured with a feigned smile, "I'll just warm some of this up for me then."

She swallowed and slowly nodded. "Are you all right? Your voice sounds a little funny."

"Yep, just tired... it's been a long day."

Nodding, she chewed on her bottom lip before flashing him a small smile and walking to the bathroom.

Everett blew out a defeated breath and grabbed a fork from the kitchen. Setting the casserole on the table, he took a bite and set in for a lonely night.