38

Two weeks passed, plunging them into the first week of November. Elyria still hadn't found the right moment to tell Everett she was pregnant, and she didn't know why. Fear of jinxing it, or that by telling him it would make it more real, maybe?

Or perhaps her reluctance to speak of it came from the desire to try and get used to the idea herself before sharing the news with him?

Either way, the secret sat heavily between them, only eased by the slight reprieve from nausea that had beset her all day, every day for the past ten weeks.

After packing their lunch, she slipped on her winter coat, scarf, and gloves and left for the school through the back door.

"Afternoon, Elyria," Marcus greeted her in his usual happy tone.

She smiled. "Hello, Marcus."

"Pretty chilly day we're having. You on your way over to the school?"

She held up her basket of food. "I am."

"I can give you a ride over there if you like."

Shaking her head, she walked down the steps. "Thank you for the offer, but I'm more than prepared for the cold, and the fresh air will do me good."

Marcus cleared his throat. "Heard there's a good chance for a few inches of snow later today."

Elyria's stomach clenched in apprehension. She bit back a groan and tightened her hold on the basket." I appreciate the warning."

"There's a letter for you from Washington DC."

"Oh! Thank you," she murmured, adjusting her grip on her walking stick and holding out several gloved fingers for him to slip the letter between. "I'll have Everett read it to me; I'm on my way to see him for lunch."

"Well," Marcus said with a cluck of his tongue, "I better be on my way. Have a good rest of your day. Tell Cap I said hello."

She nodded and waved, waiting until he returned to his mail truck and drove away before she tucked it in her coat pocket. Then she headed out toward the school.

A brisk wind picked up halfway there, whipping her hair into her face until she was sure she'd end up with welts across her cheeks from the frozen strands.

The intense cold made it difficult to breathe. By the time she arrived at the school, frost had formed on her eyelashes and dusted her cheeks with every blink.

Opening the main door, she entered Everett's classroom and waited at the back until he excused everyone for lunch. The students clamored for their coats and lunch pails in their hurry to play outside.

Everett heaved a sigh and walked down to meet her, "How was your walk? You look half frozen."

She grinned and gave him the basket. "Why didn't you tell me we live in the Arctic?"

He laughed, a deep, contagious one that warmed her heart and launched a flurry of butterflies in her stomach. The smile slipped from her lips at realizing how long it had been since she last heard the sound.

Everett pressed a kiss to her cheek and walked with her back to his desk. "You look well... does that mean you're feeling better?"

"It does," she murmured with a smile, pulling her chair up beside him before reaching into her coat pocket and handing him the letter. "Marcus dropped this off on my way over; I hoped you might read it to me."

"I'd love to." He took it and kissed her quickly, then unpacked the rest of the basket. "Looks like it's from Daphne... mind if I eat first?"

She shook her head. "Sounds good to me; I packed a smaller portion for myself. It should be there at the bottom."

He opened the container and handed it over. "It's nice to share meals with you again. I've missed it."

"I have too," she said softly. "It's nice to finally be feeling better."

They ate the remainder of their meal in silence until Everett opened the letter, cleared his throat, and began reading.

Dearest El and Everett,

I have glorious news! Do you hear the angels singing? Simon has finally agreed, after much coaxing on my part and clever little hints by Anne (it's almost scary how quickly she's picked up and adopted my talents of persuasion), we shall visit you for the holidays this year!

Train tickets have been bought to ensure Simon won't back out and change his mind. We are to arrive Monday, November 17, around 2:00, but we all know trains—especially around the holidays—tend to run late. We shall see.

I'm giddy with excitement at the thought of seeing you once again, my dear sweet Elyria (you too, Everett). I've missed you dreadfully. I swear, if it weren't for my current condition of being seven months pregnant, I'd have insisted our trip out there would be permanent.

Simon seems to be warming to the idea of moving to Idaho. For years, he's mentioned that a quiet life in a small town appeals to him, so fingers crossed that this trip to Malad proves magical enough to sway him.

I better run. I've just heard a crash come from the kitchen. It's either squirrels raiding the pantry or Anne; regardless, they're in trouble.

Much love to you, my dearest friend, and Everett,

Daph

"I can't believe it," Elyria gasped, "they'll be here in less than two weeks."

Everett grunted.

Elyria frowned, "You don't want them to visit?"

"I do... it'll be nice seeing them." He folded the letter and handed it back to her, "But will you hate me if I admit that I was looking forward to having it just be the two of us?"

She smiled. "No."

Everett packed the basket with their empty lunch containers, then sat back with a sigh. "I'd like your opinion on a matter unrelated to Daphne's letter."

"What is it?" She quietly asked, giving him her full attention.

He fell silent and drummed his fingers against the top of his desk before saying, "I believe one of my students is being abused at home and has been since at least the start of school this year. And I'm certain it's the father behind it." He paused, his chair creaking, when he turned to face her and held her hand. "Would it be ill-advised of me to visit this student's house?"

Elyria shook her head. "What do you hope to accomplish with this visit?"

Everett let out a heavy sigh. "That's a good question." He paused, then said, "I worry if I confront Bertrand, I'll only make things worse for Carson, but then it could get worse even if I don't say or do something."

She nodded.

"All I know is every time I look at Carson with his new bruises on top of faded ones, I see myself in his place and remember how no one ever did anything to stop it for me."

Elyria pursed her lips and thought the matter over before saying, "Perhaps it would do some good for Mr. Wagner to be introduced to Captain Rattlesnake. Carson too. Let him know he has you for a champion."

"Have I told you today that I love you?" He whispered.

She smiled and blinked back tears, her heart bursting with joy at the emotion in his voice. "I love you too. I'm sorry I haven't done a very good job lately of showing it."

Leaning forward, he kissed her but pulled back when children began scrambling back inside the classroom. "I'll be home late tonight."

"You're going over to—"

"It can't wait," he whispered, pulling her closer, "Carson hasn't been to school the past three days. My gut is telling me it's bad. I worry if I wait—"

Elyria pressed a kiss to his cheek, "Then go. Just be safe."

He nodded and squeezed her fingers before handing her the basket. "I love you."

"I love you," she smiled, kissing him one last time. "I'll see you tonight."