63 ❀ Coming home

Pennsylvania, present day

The lilting breeze flutters the newly sprung leaves on the trees. Their bright green color matches the scheme of the little forest, everything is that same lovely shade of shamrock. Spring is upon the valley and it is in everything and seen everywhere.

The large lycan steps out of his car. He shuts the door and glances around, fumbling as he shoves his keys into his pocket. His reflection in the car window is a weary sight. He's nervous.

Eugene Cole hasn't slept in over two weeks, and it shows. His thick moustache is overgrown, his brilliant red hair unkempt and messy. The dark circles under his eyes drooping like heavy bags. His face and countenance sagging overall.

The lycan male makes his way forward in fidgety distress. Everything about him screams distress. The big black house is dreary looking in the sweet atmosphere. It seems to suck up the light and happiness surrounding it.

He eases the door open, no need to unlock the entrance as it's been unlocked for decades. No one has been in the house for years. The floorboards creak underneath him.

The lycan sneezes from the collection of dust and debris. Cobwebs cover every surface, the light streaming in from the antique windows display the tiny particles floating in the air.

Cole sidesteps the broken furniture and shattered glass. The mess was left behind by himself, he knows he the reason the place is wreck. He doesn't want to admit it, but even back then he knew that he was destined for disaster.

Once he reaches the back of the old farm house, he stomps out of the backdoor. He needs to be out of that space that only holds bad memories. He's here for one purpose, and he won't be sidetracked.

He walks slowly through the overgrown grass, the wildflowers brushing his trousers as he goes. This is his last chance to redeem himself.

He passes countless trees and bushes. Though he's been away from this place for so long, he still remembers each and every plant. Every different dip in the ground. It's all laid out in Cole's mind like a map.

With that knowledge, it's impossible to not know where he's going.

When he finds the little field, he spots her and sighs. He knew she would be here. Knew she had no chance of hiding from him any longer. She has no fight left in her.

It is him that she blames, and rightfully so. It is all his fault after all. That fateful day had been a huge mistake, a mistake that so many innocents have paid dearly for.

It's all he thinks about everyday, more so after he realized who the Red Alpha really is. The memory hangs in the back of his mind like a creepy painting you can't quite get yourself to look away from. Every single time it comes up he gets shivers, and a dread unlike any other attacks every sense he has.