Chapter 13 - Presents and Valentines

Silence surrounded Dumbledores office as he and Vincent looked at each other for a long time. The silence was broken when Dumbledore gave a small chuckle as he indicated Vincent to sit.

"Creating a dragon first day back?" He laughed, "You do know how to make a scene."

"It wasn't my intentions," Vincent grumbled as he sat down, "and it's a Dretle."

"Maybe not, but you still must take responsibility for this," Vincent scratched his head in embarrassment, "fortunately, no student or teacher was harmed so your punishment will not be too heavy."

Vincent sighed in relief.

"But before we get to that, I've been meaning to talk to you," Dumbledore suddenly grew serious, "about how you caught the eye of Dracula himself, a Kings Candidate. Sister An had sent me this particular news."

Vincent grimaced, "Wasn't my intentions either."

"Dracula has not shown himself in the open for the past several hundred years," Dumbledore said, "out of all the non-human magical creatures, he is by far the strongest. Fortunately, he rarely interacts with the outside world. Well, not personally."

"I've heard of tests that he gives to Candidates," Vincent said.

"Indeed," Dumbledore nodded, "however, you are much too young for that now. There's a rule that the next heir must be above the age of seventeen. That means you have a few years to prepare."

"A few years," Vincent thought before Dumbledore clapped to get his attention.

"Well," Dumbledore suddenly turned cheery, "I'm going to leave your punishment to Mr. Filch. Hagrid would be happy to look after that Dretle of yours until it's ready to be moved. Thank you for your time, Vince. Lemon sherbet?"

"..." Vincent silently accepted the candy.

...

"You know, if anyone else was in your situation, they'd skip homework," Vincent said as he looked at all the open books on Hermione's sheets.

"If anyone else had to mop the whole second floor of Hogwarts as punishment, they'd learn not to create random potions," Hermione said.

"Touché," Vincent mumbled, reading his book.

Argus Filch had Vincent mop up the whole of the second floor. It took well over a day before Vincent finished. The castle was enormous and all he got from Filch was, "Satisfactory," making Vincent feel even more miserable.

"Hey, I nearly forgot," Vincent said digging in a pouch of his, he pulled out a small box before handing it to Hermione, "it's a bit late, but Merry Christmas."

Hermione froze as she dropped her pencil. She stared at Vincent who scratched his head.

"I brought this at Diagon Alley, I hope you like it," Vincent said passing the box to her.

Hermione was silent for a moment before she opened her mouth, "Thank you."

"You haven't even opened the box and your thanking me?" Vincent said jokingly.

"I don't care what it is, just the fact that you got me something is more than enough," Hermione gave an incredibly happy smile that stunned Vincent. The cat ears also amplified the effect by tenfold.

Hermione took no notice however as she opened the box. Her eyes widened as she lifted a small thin golden chain.

"A necklace?" she thought.

"It's incredibly simple, I didn't want to get anything too flashy," Vincent said snapping out of his trance, "it also has a charm to self-repair in case of small damage."