7.8

•- Laine Bennett -•

"With me," he says so calmly, so naturally. I was shaken, and confused. It was unexcpected, and he had no idea what kind of serious proposition he was leaving on the table.

How could I ask my family to pack all their belongings to move just so I could live with my boyfriend? I loved Austin, there was no doubt in my mind that taking this leap would be a step in the right direction for us to develop a clear and long lasting future, but alas, I was unprepared for the words he spoke.

"Lainey," he says worriedly, "Say something, please?"

I clear my throat and shake myself from the twisted thoughts that were becoming a jumbled mess inside my brain.

"Austin," I begin, trying not to waver my voice to show denial to his proposition, "I love you, and I want nothing more than to live with you," I watch as the corners of his lips curl upwards, "But asking my family to move to a location for the benefit of me, is selfish and I can't bring myself to do it."

"Okay," he smiles sadly, "I understand. Maybe now is not the best time, but I want you to know I'm not going to rush it. At least say you'll think about it, yeah? I mean, I want the best for your family and obviously they come first, but truly, and completely, I want to pave the way for our own."

His heartfelt and patient words sent a wave of readiness through my body. Being apart from Austin most days had lead me to irritated despair, and the thought of waking up beside him was more than appealing, however, he was not just asking me to pack my belongings and commit to a living situation, but my entire family was expected to move into the same building. There was a lot of financial planning and estimations that would go into such a large dive forward, but I was sure that I wanted to do this.

"Yes," I smile, leaning into him as we walk along the pavement, "I'll think about it."

•———•

I'd arrived to work earlier than anticipated. I adored seeing Austin in the morning and playing our draw of cards, but I was hoping to run into Mahalia or even Brent for that matter to discuss the events of yesterday.

I was impatiently drinking my third cup of coffee this morning before the familiar tall and well dressed woman steps through the elevator with exhaustion radiating off her stunning face.

"Rich old men like to fuck," she groans, leaning her whole body against my desk tiredly.

I can't help but nod my head I imitate the work I was meant to be doing, "Don't I know it," I laugh, "So, that guy was that good?" I ask, trying to wait until she was energized enough for a response to what I plan to be a quick synopsis of the previous day.

Mahalia's shoulders move upwards slightly before she takes another large swing of her equally gigantic morning beverage.

"He was good for 45, but honestly, I expected some weird hotel room shit with kinky ropes, but I got a lot of dirty talk and an okay size instead."

I try to sound interested in the company's of her older man after Austin's party, but I lacked the true interest. It was not because I did not care, but because I loved Mahalia and she usually went off about other unnecessary details like the color of the rug in his living room or the decorations on his wall.

"Anyways," she begins, turning to face me, "I thought you guys were heading to the site today?"

I nod my head and check the time on my computer. I had my emails directed to my phone of course, but I needed to see Mahalia this morning and Austin had a few things to catch up on before the first day of true construction takes off.