CH. 4: THE SOUTHERN AIR TEMPLE

CHAPTER 4:
THE SOUTHERN AIR TEMPLE.
Anisha P.O.V.

Although it's been a hundred years, I was so excited to go home. I missed the Monks, my old room, and the temple itself!

"I can see the mountain range! We're almost there!" Aang said, full of excitement.

"Aang, before we get to the temple, I wanted to talk to you about the Air Benders," Katara said, being very careful with her words. I knew it was a possibility that something could've happened while we were gone but they don't have the technology to get up there.

"What about them?"

"Well, I just want you to be prepared for what you might see. The Fire Nation is ruthless, they killed my mother. They could've done the same to your people."

"Just because no one has seen an Air Bender, doesn't mean the Fire Nation killed them all. They probably escaped," Aang quickly said, and I stopped eavesdropping once I heard that.

Of course they escaped.

The Air Nomads are smart people with calm minds, so they had to have been rational enough to escape and find somewhere to hide.

As we made our way up the trail to the temple, I felt like a lump formed in my throat and I couldn't speak. Yes, I loved my home and the Monks who taught me, but many bad things happened to me that Aang doesn't know about and I'm afraid that seeing the temple again might trigger my Avatar State.

What if he's still there?

What if they ban me?

After everything I did, I wouldn't be surprised.

"Hey, you okay?" Sokka asked, his hand on my shoulder.

"Y-Yes, just a bit emotional. It has been a hundred and fifteen years since I've been home," It wasn't a total lie. Just a small one.

"Oh, okay. . .so, where can I get something to eat?" Sokka asked, trying to lighten up the mood.

"You're lucky enough to be one of the first outsiders to ever visit an Air Bender Temple, and all you can think about is food?" Katara pointed out, but he still grumbled while his stomach growled.

"I'm just a simple guy with simple needs," Sokka shrugged.

"So, that's where my friends and I would play Air Ball," Aang pointed to the Air Ball area, and I smiled fondly at the memories. I remember when Tenzei accidentally hit me while I was studying by Air Bending the ball too high, and he got a scolding from the monks.

"And over there is where the Bison would sleep, and-" Aang cut off with a sigh.

"What's wrong?"

"This place used to be filled with Monks, and Lemurs, and Bison. Now there's just a bunch of weeds. . .I can't believe how much things have changed," Aang said.

"We can't be the last Air Benders, Aang. We know our people, and I bet you that they're safe and happy right now. Maybe when the war is over, they can return home," I reassured him, also trying to convince myself of the enivatable.

There's no bodies.

So they're safe.

They wouldn't let them kill children.