|08|

Torint

     Once I'm sure the female is asleep, I close the door softly, trying not to make a single sound. The image of her calm form cradled gently in her nest is something I can't forget. Posy is so beautiful curled up in a little ball. Delicate, soft, tempting. I wished to run my fingers across her cheek, but I didn't dare risk waking her.

     Making sure she slumbers softly is not my only reason for sneaking into her nest. I also went in to grab a single hair from her head.

     The piece of hair is long and silky, the color of the sun here. Bright and yellow.

     Making my way out of the house slowly, I try to make as little noise as possible which is no small task. This den is tiny, my head nearly hits the ceiling in some of the rooms. It's frustrating trying to fit in the cramped space, but I do it for Posy.

     Weasley, the cat, sits absently by the door until he spots me. The small creature is adorable as it trots towards me and rubs against my legs. It makes that soft rumbling in its throat that I've come to learn means that he's happy.

     I quickly put a finger to my lips and shush the animal, trying to get him to stop before he wakes his owner. If she finds me leaving she'll be alarmed, I'm sure of it. I can't mess up again, too much is on the line.

     Once I get past the cat, I softly close the door. I lift my head to stare into the dark forest ahead of me. I know the way we came to get here, so I know how to get back to my ship. The grass crunches under my feet. This planet is strange, but not all that different from my own.

     There is, however, a weird sound in the far distance and all around me, a constant thrum of noise. When it first appeared I looked outside with suspicion, but Posy quickly assured me the sound is harmless. It comes from a bunch of bugs called cicadoideas, whatever that is.

     My shoulder is healing quickly. I glance over my shoulder to the human den. I can't help but think of Posy every time I think of the wound.

     The blessed female tended to me, not only that, but she fed me and gave me a nest to sleep in. There are no words to describe how thankful I am to her.

     Though I am still in shock that she's even real.

     I slip silently through the forest, or the "woods" as Posy calls it, searching for the scent of my ship. The thing may be crashed and mostly useless, but I need it.

     Communications are online, that means that I can get a message from my home planet any minute now. I have to get there to see if there's a reply to my distress signal.

     One glance at the strand of hair between my fingers and my heart beats hard in my chest. A nervous smile covers my face. Excitement sizzles inside me.

     Then there's that. That little clue that can change everything.

     When I finally get to the destroyed ship, I stomp through the wreckage to the cockpit. The sounds of my rushing don't bother me. The computer told me that there are no threats in the forest, so I have nothing to worry about.

     "Computer, read all messages." I say breathlessly as I collapse in the captain's chair.

     "No new messages."

     I sigh, leaning back in the chair with my full weight and squeezing my eyes shut tight.

     No messages. My team hasn't received my message yet, or maybe they're already on their way here. Somehow I doubt it, but there is still hope. There is always hope.

     That leads me to the hair. The hair of a tiny human female. I straighten my posture as I prepare for anything.

     "Computer. Are DNA diagnostics online?"

     "DNA diagnostics fully operational."

     A breath of relief slides out of me like my lungs have been compressed. Here goes nothing.

     "Run tests on DNA." I place the hair strand into the computer through a hatch, a vacuum sucks the strand into the system. After a few minutes of waiting relentlessly, the computer buzzed.

     "DNA testing complete. Species: human."

     "Computer, test compatibility."

     "You wish to know if humans can successfully breed with Rytarans?"

     "Yes." I say rather quickly, ready to hear the news I've been waiting for ever since I came into contact with the miracle that is Posy.

     "Test complete. Humans are 100% compatible."

     My body slumps, eyes growing wide at the words. Humans can breed. They can give us kits. I try to gasp for air, but it doesn't seem to come.

     I am shocked to my core. This is truly a miracle. I cannot fathom what I have heard. Humans hold the future our kind in their miniature hands. All along we've been searching for compatible females, and they've been here on Earth.

     Not that I knew what Earth was until I crashed on it earlier today, but the result is beyond worth the troubles it took getting here.

     Posy's kind may be small and delicate, but they can grow our children in their wombs. A single tear rolls down my face. The pure joy I feel cannot be compared to anything else.

     My whole life I've thought our race was destined to perish, now I know that this is not the case. Our kind will live on to see more generations after all.

     I stand swiftly, trudging out of the ship with a renewed swiftness.

     My mission for now is to protect the human that started this all. My Posy. I must get back to her before she's realized I've left her side.

     After all, if I want her to even consider taking me as her mate she needs to know that I will never leave her, and I will always be there to watch over her.

     The number 1 comment I get on this story is about updates! Y'all are always begging for them, so I thought I'd drop a new chapter

     The number 1 comment I get on this story is about updates! Y'all are always begging for them, so I thought I'd drop a new chapter. I guess that means y'all really like the story?

     I won't lie, I've been busy, but this book is more fluff than anything. It's nice and easy to write for when I'm stressed. I'll try and write more once Klepto is completed!

     Hopefully the next update will be soon! Thank you for all the sweet comments❤️