xxxix

He looked like he usually did, calm, relaxed, tranquil – everything I wasn't. It didn't help that he looked so good while standing at the frame of my door, a sly smile on his face as he looked down at me.

I didn't really know what to make of this situation, not really comprehending that Harry was standing in front of me, especially when I looked like this.

I cleared my throat as if I was going to speak but I really had nothing to say just yet. Instead, I stepped aside, allowing him in my apartment.

I heard Patty choke on air or saliva as she began to cough at the sight of Harry. "W-what are you doing here?" She gaped, standing up from the couch so she could fully face him walking in.

Harry looked at Patty questioningly, then me, then back to Patty, probably wondering why the hell we both looked so emotional and in distress.

"Did you guys watch The Notebook or something?"

I let out a small laugh at his question, walking past him to sit back on the couch. I reached over for the tissues on the table, bringing one up to my eyes and patting away anymore stray tears.

"Why're you here, Harry?" Patty took the words out of my mouth, crossing her arms over her chest and shifting her weight to her left leg. Well, not that I was ever going to ask because honestly I was still in shock.

He must be some wizard to know we were just talking about him and that the state of our appearances are because of him. . . right?

Harry pursed his lips, slightly shrugging his shoulders whilst shaking his head, "I don't really know?" His statement trailed off to more of a question, just making Patty and I even more confused.

"Right well," Patty started, raising her eyebrows and then grabbing her purse off the table, "I can tell you want to be alone so I'll just head out."

I was so tempted to scream NO but decided against it. Harry could be here to kill me, who knows, and I'd rather like a witness to declare him the murderer.

When she reached my door, Patty turned around and pointed between me and Harry and then to herself before slamming the door behind her. I'm assuming that means she wants me to tell her what happens after whatever it is that happens.

We both didn't speak for what felt like ages. He looked around the place, seeming so interested in the crown molding rather than me – but that was okay, it gave me a little time to think of how to make this any less awkward.

Two minutes later, and it was still awkward.

I grabbed my mug off of the table, getting up to put in the sink in the kitchen. I offered Harry a drink but he declined, eyes not leaving the crown molding.

Okay, I really couldn't take it anymore. "Harry, do you really not know why you're here?"

"No, I know, I just didn't want to say anything in front of Patty," he responded, shrugging his shoulders. I looked over my shoulder and saw that he at least sat down now while keeping his gaze on the wall.

"Why not?"

He let out a sigh, dropping his pondering eyes to his shoes now, "I don't know what she knows about us and I didn't want to be the one to drop the bomb. She's probably listening through the door right now knowing her."

He wasn't wrong. It was something Patty would do without a doubt, and I have a hunch if I opened the door to my apartment she'd fall right to the floor.

We make direct eye contact as I make my way over to the door, gently putting my hand on the knob to not tell her I was on the other side. Harry stood up instantly, following in my steps and standing next to the door.