Chapter One - Present

Bad Guy- Billie Eilish

* * *

Present

Victoria

Someone asked me that day, what if I had a chance to re-live my past regrets and all the wrong decisions. Would I go back into the past and change them? Would I choose the right dress at prom and go out with the right guy? Would I settle for "normal" instead of taking risks? Would I choose him if I'd been given a second chance? My answers were all yes. I would make the same choices I'd made because that's a life lesson right there.

A dozen of screw-ups that always reminded me what life could have been without them. There was the good in life and the bad. If I were to remove all the bad, the good remained, and it just reminded me of what I could have lost if I hadn't made those choices. So I don't regret anything because the past is what makes me a person, and the pain makes all that real. No matter how many people around me would say that it was a nightmare, I knew it wasn't.

They remember my struggles, the pain, the tears. I remember the boy who gave me a real smile, who stole my heart, who almost destroyed me and yet, still loved me the same.

"Vicky, you're not even dressed yet!" I heard my younger sister Hazel whine from downstairs as she made her way to my room, deliberately stomping on the stairs.

I halted in the middle of my diary writing and gave her a look. "What?"

She glanced at the diary in my hand and rolled her eyes, maybe even yawned a little. She hated books like a five-year-old hated broccoli and every green vegetable. "Nerd! You're still in fucking PJS! It's Kevin's birthday! Hello? Did you forget?"

I snorted. "You have the audacity to say that when you're in bunny pajamas yourself."

She mimicked my talking, and I hated that because she nailed it every time. "It takes me ten minutes to get ready, while you take two hours just for makeup." She said.

I snorted. "I don't even use that much makeup," I argued.

"Yes, you do because a face like yours needs layers and layers of makeup while natural beauties like moi...need none." She said sarcastically, flipping her perfect black hair like a diva. She was really childish, my little sister.

I laughed, "Says the person who spends more money in Sephora than on college tuitions fees. The world sure is coming to an end."

"Ha! At least I didn't get a nose job done."

"Seriously, Hazel?" I asked. "You're such a sore loser. You didn't even have a good comeback this time."

It wasn't like Hazel to admit defeat; she liked to make up lies for comebacks so she would have something to say back to me, like the nose job part. On the outside, people would think Hazel was my stepsister, the princess of the house while I was picked from beside the dumpster but that really wasn't the case. We were sisters in flesh and blood. Hazel had just turned eighteen and I was twenty-seven. We had nine years of the age gap and loved insulting each other on a daily basis just for laughs. My mother had come to terms with the fact that we'd stopped maturing after kindergarten.

Hazel has the outgoing personality between the two of us. She was the hilarious sister, the easy going one who smiled more often, while I was a complete opposite. I was an introvert who liked to stay home and read books rather than go to parties.

She threw open my wardrobe and pulled out a silver sequin gown, one that she'd gifted me on my birthday. It was a long gown with a shoulder slit on one side. My figure looked bomb in it and Hazel knew that well. The silver matched my platinum blonde hair. The dress was so glittery and shimmery; it made me look like a Disney princess.