Chapter 26 - Late

"Come to breakfast."

The words rang hard in your ear, jolting you from sleep. You sat up and swung your arm out. Namjoon caught it, smiling.

"You still punch people in your sleep, I see," he teased.

His hand was soft against yours. You pulled out of his grip and turned your head away from him.

"Sleep well?" he asked

You didn't answer. 

He tapped on the wall next to your head. "I'm guessing you were watching the guard changes, seeing as how you're propped up next to the window. Smart, but not enough. Come to breakfast."

He stepped away, stopping in the doorway to wait for you.

"I'm not hungry," you muttered.

"Get up and eat," he said. "If you're going to fight me, you'll need the strength."

He stepped away. After a few minutes, you followed.

The table was set with half a dozen side dishes and the smell of cabbage stew. Namjoon gestured to the seat across from him, and you took it. He began to eat, bringing the bowl of soup to his mouth.

You sat across from him, looking down at the table. A knot twisted in your stomach.

"I'm used to eating alone," he said. "This is a nice change."

You looked down at the dishes. "You eat like a king."

"It seems like decent compensation, considering how everyone wants to kill me."

"Are you comforted knowing that you eat like this, while you left us to die?"

He put down his chopsticks. "I didn't leave anyone to die, Y/N. Considering a moment ago I had to force you to breakfast."

"Those are two different things and you know it," you threw back. "You spent the last five years not giving a damn about us, and now you want to offer me food and pretend that you care?"

He sighed and rubbed his face with his hands. "I should have known that our first breakfast together in five years would end in a fight."

"What do you want me to do, Namjoon? Cry with happiness to see you again? You left us without a word. I waited for you, and -- "

You stopped, swallowing your true feelings.

He swirled his soup bowl. "I wanted to come back to you... but I couldn't."

"Why would you?" you spat back. "You're treated better than the emperor. Of course you'd leave us to starve once you found success."

He slammed the bowl down. "You don't know what I went through, Y/N! Don't preach to me! Yes, I left. You don't have to forgive me. But if you think for one moment that I deserted you to line my own stomach and pockets, then you never knew me at all."