Red

"I'm sure Alec will remember his pie-making lesson. After all, what is a shadowhunter without pie?" Jace smirked, twirling one of Clary's red curls around his fingers. "But in the meantime, what would you like to do?"

"We have dinner with my parents at six, remember?" Clary said.

"Yes, but it's only 5:42 right now..." Jace said, his implication clear.

Clary rolled her eyes. "So what are we going to do, Lord and Master of Porny Pick-Up Lines?"

In answer, Jace pushed Clary against the tree and kissed her slow and full. Clary returned it, not caring about all the mundanes around them, kissing Jace in public didn't seem as big as a deal her Mom had raised her to think, even without glamour runes.

They talked and laughed and kissed a bit more, and Clary started a drawing of Jace posing very seductively against a tree in her copy of the shadowhunter's codex, until they looked up to see Luke chuckling, his arms on his hips.

"Thought I'd find you two here. Come on, Jocelyn is waiting in the car." Luke ushered them.

Clary glanced down at her watch, and saw it was 6:05, ten minutes after the time they agreed to meet at Taki's.

"You're late!" Jocelyn mock-scolded them; she seemed to accept, if grudgingly, Jace and her.

Clary and Jace apologized, Jace with his amazing manners, and they were soon all seated at a four-person booth.

The waitress, a mundane with the sight or a werewolf, Jace suspected, went off with their orders. Kaede and the other pixies working at Taki's had disappeared mysteriously after the faeries' betrayal.

"So, Jace, how have things been going?" Luke asked, leaning on the table with his elbows.

"Just fine, sir." Jace smiled, deciding to use his manners. Clary thought his use of "sir" was a bit too much, but she didn't say anything.

They made small talk a bit longer until their food arrived, and the waitress gave Luke a strange look that he pretended not to notice as she handed him his drink.

"How is-" Jocelyn was interrupted as a loud screeching noise filled the air.

Jace was up immediately, his hand already searching for the seraph blade that was not there. Clary stood up as well and put a hand on his arm.

"Look," She whispered, pointing to a disguisting creature with four heads who was making it's way to a cowering figure. "Can you see them?"

Jace etched a small sight enhancing rune on his forearm and squinted. "A... mundane, I think."

Some people were shouting, and they watched as the demon was killed, screaming and cursing. A waiter came and reassured them everything was taken care of and apologised for inconviniences.

They sat back down again and Clary picked at her food, suddenly not hungry.

Jace gave a small smile. "What bad manners it had. One should never scream loud curses in front of a lady!"

Clary rolled her eyes. They ate the rest if their meals in silence, none of them mentioning the increasing number of demons showing up in New York.

Once finished, they paid and returned to the park to enjoy the last few hours of sunlight.

Jace and Clary talked a bit more, Clary working on her drawing of Jace, until it was time to go.

Jace kissed Clary's head and thanked Luke and Jocelyn for dinner then watched them disappear to the car, and noticed how Clary and Jocelyn's red hair matched the leaves around them.