Chapter 1

Aki rubbed his tired eyes. He had already studied a lot but it seemed like there was no end to the things that he needed to study. Last semester, he flunked most of his exams, bringing his grades down to the dangerous line. At this rate, he might even lose his scholarship. He did not have the money to pay for the tuition fees.

He reached out on his phone. There was a message from his friend Zy. He sent Aki a selfie of him wearing a yellow onesie, making him looked like Pikachu. Though in Aki's eyes, Zy was much cuter than Pikachu. He giggled at the thought as he saved the photo on his phone's album. Better have something to look at later.

Aki typed back a message.

That onesie is cute!

He waited for a while but it seemed like Zy was not online. Dejected, Aki put back his phone and tried to study again. Not long after he did that, his phone lighted up again. Aki grabbed it right away.

Help :( :( :(

Aki was suddenly alerted. He swiped all of his things on the table to his arms. As he did so, he bumped to another student who was passing by. His books clattered on the floor so Aki and the student hurriedly picked up his things.

"Sorry," Aki bowed his head in apology.

"No worries."

The voice was low and clear, the type which would make you want to listen all day long. Aki looked up as soon as he heard it and was almost blinded by the other person's smile.

Half a head taller than him with good looks and that bright smile, Aki felt like his eyes were burning. Flustered, he took a step back and bowed again. Why, he did not know. It was just, his heart thumped so hard that his instinct told him to run away.

His phone vibrated in his hand which brought him back from his thoughts. 'Zy needed me.' He reminded himself.

He rushed to where his love was.

____________________________________________

As it turned out, Zy was just bored.

He raised his eyebrows when a disheveled Aki entered the cafe. Zy took his time licking the ice cream off his spoon before speaking.

"Why the rush?"

"You said you needed help."

Zy stared at Aki for a full minute before bursting with laughter.

"You didn't read my second message, no?

Aki blushed as he took out his phone. He opened the message which reads:

I'm so bored to death. Drew has part-time today. :( :( :(

He totally missed this! All he could think about was to get to where Zy was. He knew that Zy would definitely be at their favorite cafe so he rushed to the place.

"Well I'm here now," Aki said as he sat across Zy.

"Yes! And you're going to hang out with me," Zy pulled out his puppy look, "you would right?"

Aki nodded and buried his head on the menu, trying to hide his flushed face. Even without checking, he knew that he was red up to the tip of his ears. He mentally cursed his body for always being so honest.

"What about Drew?"

Zy's face turned sour. "He promised that we'll hang out after class today. But he called me, telling me he's got stuff to do."

Deep inside, Aki was happy. Lately, all Zy ever did was to hang out with Drew. If they were not together, Drew was everything Zy talked about.

"...I bet he got asked out again huh."

Zy looked dejected as he twirled his spoon. So as Aki. He hated how Zy looked like he was going to cry just by thinking Drew with another person. Or how Zy sounded as if he's jealous. Or worst, just Drew appearing made Zy forget everything and he could smile like nothing happened.

Aki ignored the dull pain in his chest. Zy was just sad thinking that his friend was being taken away from him. Nothing more, nothing less.

Granted, he and Aki became friends first. Then Drew transferred on their second year of high school and joined them. More like, Zy followed the transferee around and Aki followed Zy.

Due to different majors, they all decided to go to a specialized university. Drew went to a university known for its liberal arts department while Aki enrolled in a business school. Zy did not know where to go, but old habits die hard. So where Drew went, Zy followed.

Aki would have done the same thing. But he had already submitted his papers to his current university when he learned that Zy decided to go to the same school as Drew.

They eat their foods and chatted for a while. When it was 6 o'clock, Zy stood up. Aki stared dumbly at him.

Zy smiled as he tugged at Aki's wrist. "The night is young... so let's hang out some more?"

Aki sighed. He really could not say no to Zy.

They went to their go-to bar, Moonlight. The owner was already familiar to them so he nodded at the two when they entered. With cheap drinks and easy access from different universities, many students dropped by this place to hang out.

Aki and Zy found a seat on the counter and bantered with the owner. Though it was mostly Zy and the owner talking, while Aki listened on the sidelines. They drank until the end of happy hour. By that time, Aki was already pretty drunk and Zy was no better.

Aki tugged at Zy. "Come on, we still have classes in the morning."

Zy groaned. "No..."

Aki tried to tug his friend again. Instead of getting up, Zy clung to Aki.

"Why don't you want to go home?"

"Don't wanna."

Aki sighed and shook off his friend.

Zy peered at him, their faces only a few breaths away. "Let's keep on drinking? Pretty please? I'm not drunk... yet," he giggled.

After a pause, Zy whispered. "I don't want to think about Drew. I want to stop stop stoooooop!"

Aki feared that Zy might be crying. But he was the one who wanted to cry. After hearing what his friend said, he wanted to show that he's better than Drew. 'So please, don't look for him.'

"Alright."

Zy perked up and glomped at Aki. "You really are the besh-- hic!"

"But only until 10pm."

Zy nodded and grinned.

10pm turned 11 then 12 until they finally got home at 1 o'clock in the morning. Aki felt the world spun around him. When he reached his apartment, he plopped to his bed, face down, and stopped caring to the outside world.

_________________________________

Zy's smiling face and his laughter were still etched on Aki's mind. A faint smile appeared on his lips while his eyes got heavier and heavier. He idly wondered on the day that he would confess his feelings for his friend. He imagined various scenarios until he drifted off to the dreamland.

Meanwhile, in the background, the professor's voice echoed around the hall. "You have 10 more minutes to finish your exam."