Chapter Eighty-Six | Third World

[ 86 ]

Both teams silently monitored this new breed of Rotter. From what they could gather, it was both agile and vocal. The rest of the Advanced Rotter's seemed to be trying to keep some distance between them and the smaller creature. But from what the soldiers could see, they had no hope as the mutant child screeched in their faces and sank its teeth into them every now and then.

Every bit of Hansel's body was tense. He suddenly felt like he was out in the open, only moments away from being spotted by the creatures. The fingers grasping the assault rifle trembled more than usual. He took a few gulps of air, lowering his head to his chest and slowed his breathing as quietly as he could.

"What's your favourite colour?" The exercise to himself was brought to an end as Commander Niklas whispered from beside him. They had no other option but to lie and wait for the Rotters to once again disappear into the building so that they could make a hasty escape. But the off-handed question perplexed the young man.

"What?"

"You don't have one?" Niklas enquired as he adjusted his position while looking through the aim on his weapon. "Mine's green. I miss it after being surrounded by steel walls these past few years."

Hansel continued to look at the man, wondering for a moment whether or not he had lost his mind. The man in favour of green tilted his head in his direction, "Not going to say? I'd peg you as an orange type of guy."

"Orange?" Hansel spluttered, sounding downright offended.

The corners of Niklas' lips curled upwards as he kept his attention directly ahead of them. "How about pink?"

Hansel huffed, "Because every gay guy likes pink?"

Niklas raised an eyebrow at the comment, "So you're OK with sharing your sexuality but not your favourite colour?"

"Raven blue." He mumbled as his steady hands once again grasped the body of the weapon.

"Specific. So a deep blue that's borderline purple-y black?"

"Right."

"That's an impressive colour; bold and strong."

"Ah, so it doesn't suit me right? Because in your opinion I'm an orange or pink kind of guy."

Niklas regarded Hansel with an amused expression. He shook his head lightly and looked away, "No, I was trying to get you to open-up, Hansel. You're not either of those colours because you're tetchy."

"Oh, I'm tetchy now?"

"Yes. So it does make sense that you're a combination of blue, black and purple."

"Like the bruise you're going to get when we get out of here?"

"I am your Commander" Niklas tried to put on a stern voice, but it didn't have the same effect as they were whispering to one another.

"Does the safe-zone have a HR?"

"We don't, but if you have any complaints then feel free to come to me."

"That seems corrupt."

"Thank you," Niklas nodded his head, "We've registered your complaint and strive to be better."

Hansel scrunched his face, "I think I preferred it when we mutually disliked each other."

"You know what they say, relationships forged in conflict will be the most passionate."