Chapter 38

Rowan wrapped his arms around Kaerius and pulled him out of the fish tank. His tail hit the ground, and Kaerius whimpered. Rowan looked around for something that could dry him. The hunters all stood at the other end of the room, watching him. Rowan felt their judgement, but he didn't care.

All Rowan wanted to do was get Kaerius out of there before his mother turned up. Surely, she would have heard by now about what was going on in her base.

"I'm gonna have to carry you," Rowan said. It pained him to see the stress on Kaerius' face. Rowan's bag was kicked to the side of the room. He crawled over to it, wishing he could phone his father for a lift or support or backup. Rowan and Kaerius were alone in their battle. Rowan had to be strong for them both.

"Put your arm around my shoulder," Rowan said, and Kaerius struggled. Rowan slotted an arm under his tail and carefully pulled him off the ground. "Move," he demanded. The hunters were blocking his exit. When nobody shifted, Rowan yelled, "MOVE! Or I'll be the last one standing in here."

Low murmurs bounced from the walls, and the hunters shuffled away from the door. Even after Rowan had shown them what he could do, they were reluctant to let him leave. "If any of you touch me on the way out, I'll come back and finish what I started."

"Guys, back away, let him leave," a voice said from the main room. As Rowan neared the door, he saw Wez looking at him. "Your mother has been told and is on her way," Wez said, though he didn't look as pleased as the other hunters. "I suggest you run and don't look back Solar." Wez followed him to the door, keeping a wary eye on Kaerius who had wrapped his tail around Rowan like a vine. The other hunters didn't follow, but the silence in the room made their glares yell a thousand insults.

Wez suddenly rushed around Rowan when they were outside and scratched himself with Kaerius' nails. He threw himself down the steps. "No!" he yelled as Rowan froze on the first step. Wez rolled around in the mud, untouched. "He scratched me! Oh, god, help!"

Rowan looked behind him, and the door was almost closed. Footsteps were approaching. "Wez, what the hell!" Rowan hurried down the steps and hovered over him.

"Force your hand in my pocket, get my car keys, and get the hell out of here Rowan. You don't know what Mandy is capable of; none of us know. The things she loves more than life itself is her status and pride. You're not safe, not even against your mother. Get out of here."

Rowan watched the black venom crawling up the hunter's veins. Not knowing if he had enough time, Rowan ordered Kaerius to look in his bag and pull out the antidote. Kaerius found it when Rowan grabbed Wez's car key.

"To your left," Wez murmured, and Rowan saw the car lights flashing. Quickly, Rowan inserted him with the serum and made it look like Wez did it himself.

"Now we're even," Rowan said, "But I won't forget this." Without looking back to the church, Rowan sprinted across the gravel with Kaerius in his arms.

He shoved Kaerius in the passenger seat and threw himself in the driver's seat. He almost ran Wez over on the way out, but once he was on the main road and moving quickly across town, he stopped gripping the steering wheel like it was the only thing that could save him.

Rowan breathed hard, and his t-shirt was soaked with sweat and blood from his fight. Kaerius was much worse. The Thalassic Mortal slumped in his seat, bloody, bruised, and barely able to keep his head up.

"I'm taking you to my dad's house. We'll ditch the car in the next street. His spare key is back under the turtle statue, I checked yesterday. We'll sneak in, and I'll take you to the basement. That shouldn't hurt him, not if he's sleeping upstairs. We should be far away enough for dad to be okay." Rowan didn't know if that was true, but he had no other options left. The sea wasn't safe, and his home wasn't safe, the streets were not safe. If his mother knew about his father's curse, then his father's house would be the last place she'd look for a Thalassic Mortal.