twenty six

INCOMING FACETIME CALL FROM: PETER

Ryder curses to herself while wiping her tears with the back of her hand, having no way to hide her emotions as she stifles a sob at the back of her throat. She freezes, not knowing whether to take his call and have him immediately worried, because, knowing him, he'll waste no time swinging to her apartment window for something as simple as a hug. Knowing her, she'll break down even further because of her emotional distress. If she doesn't answer, it'll seem suspicious, and if she does, he'll know.

The girl waits a moment, pausing her movie on her computer and sniffling, picking up her phone and sliding the accept icon, facing the camera on her forehead so he doesn't see her tear stricken face. Pointing the camera to the ceiling, the phone takes a few moments to connect their receptions.

She nearly melts when she sees his grinning face, the sunset gleaming against his pale skin and bringing out his doe eyes, as she can see the right red and blue material wrapped around his neck, and it seems as if he's sitting on top of a building in the middle of patrol. His curls are untamed since he rips his mask off and stick to his forehead, damp and full at the same time. The creases by his eyes deepen as his smile grows, surprised that she picks up since it takes her so long to answer the call (also he's just really excited to see her in general, and doesn't mind making up excuses so that he needs to come see her, for example, needing a kiss just so he can fight crime again.)

"Hey, pretty girl," he chirps happily, squinting his eyes because the sun's bright and he cannot really see the screen. "How've you been?"

Ryder clears her throat, trying to conceal her tears. "I'm okay."

He instantly cocks his head to the side in befuddlement at her tone, quiet and hoarse, something he's not used to, something he perks his ears up to. He's used to her upbeat and overwhelming hello! and great big grin greeting him on screen, and even when she feels okay she still gives him the satisfaction of showing her face and smiling through her lethargy. But he scrunches up his face at the sight of her ceiling and a small portion of her forehead.

"Lemme see that pretty face of yours, yeah?" Peter says gently, although his tone is concerned and his eyebrows are pinched together.

Ryder sighs loudly and it slightly annoys Peter at how exasperated she sounds. "Alright," she murmurs, "before you freak out, yes, I am crying, but—"

"What? Ryder, are you—?"

"I'm fine!" Ryder chuckles with a strained smile, finally showing her face and he can now see her tear stricken cheeks, swollen eyes, and red nose, and his face nearly falls, and she feels guilty for making him feel terrible. "Don't worry, I'm fine."

Peter frowns and his eyes droop. "But...but you're crying..." he says stupidly.

Ryder laughs at him, a wholehearted chuckle that confuses him, because isn't she supposed to be upset if she cries? And he hates it when she does so, because he never knows what to do or how to comfort her -- it's not really his strong suit. He hates how her eyes get bloodshot and her cheeks get puffy, and her voice gets low and if she's really upset, she can't even talk without interrupting hiccups and cries.

The only reason she laughs is because of the reason she's crying -- it's really stupid and it's honestly nothing to be concerned about, yet, knowing Peter, he's gonna freak out since he hates seeing her upset.