Chapter 1

I kicked the discarded can that was laying, crumpled and dented, on the sidewalk. Some idiot must've been too lazy to put it in the trash can. I would do it, but that would mean stopping, and I couldn't risk it. Brooklyn streets weren't safe at night. Especially for a woman. Who knows how many vampires were out hunting their next meals. It was illegal for them to hunt but some of them like the chase. Others go to one of the blood houses where humans or witches, who are addicted to the high, volunteer to let a vampire feed from them. I found the idea of feeding a vampire so willingly revolting. I found the idea of their existence revolting in general. Werewolves and witches I got along with, but I kept my distance when it came to those damned bloodsuckers.

I got back to my apartment and dug my key out of my pocket. My fight or flight instincts kicked in when I found the door was already unlocked. I pushed the door open slowly, hating the loud screech the door made, alerting whoever may be here, that I was home. No way I was going to get the drop on them now.

I walked in slowly but came to an abrupt halt when I saw two people sitting in my living room. One was a man who carried a large sword strapped to his back. His head was bald but his beard was red in color. He was a mountain of a man, who would probably be just over seven feet tall if he were to stand. He wore the God of War's tribal marking on his left bicep. The God of War was named Andrus, and he was one of the four Gods who looked over this world. The four gods choose among the thousands living in this world to be considered their children.

It was mostly those of the three other species that get gifted, but humans get picked every now and then. Once chosen, the Gods give you a special ability, that is unique to you. After that, you go to the Academy Of The Gods to learn how to use your gift. You have only a few years to master it or your gift will kill you. If you do manage to master it, you will have eternal life and given tasks, depending on the God who chose you. The other three is the Goddess of Healing Reselda, the King of Gods Kohen, and the God of Prophecy Sage.

The Goddess of Healing marks those who are capable of either healing the sick and injured or those who heal the world or someone's spirit. The King of Gods marks those who he sees can lead their people as Priests or Priestesses and as someone who is able to monitor the scales between light and dark. The God of Prophecy chooses those who could be considered miscellaneous. He knows they will make an impact on the world, but they don't just self-specific tasks like a Priest or Priestess. Last is the God Of War who handpicks special warriors to combat the forces of evil when it is needed.

"Are you going to just stand there child," A woman asked me, snapping me out of it. She had the tribal symbol of a moon and sun coming to together. She was a Priestess. Her hair was white as the moon but her facial features told me she was of Asian descent.

"I have a Priestess and a warrior in my living room, unannounced, this is probably the best reaction you're gonna get from me that doesn't result in violence," I told her seriously. "Do ye live alone lass," The big man asked me. "Well, it's a one-bedroom apartment and you've had plenty of time to take a look, so you tell me," I told him. "Disrespectin' will get ye an ass-kickin'," He said while crossing his arms. "Let me try Batair," The woman said with a smile. "I'm High Priestess Sonya and this is Batair, one of our Warriors and our Warrior Tracer. It is his job to hunt down those Andrus has chosen to be his newest warrior."

It was my turn to cross my arms, not taking my eyes off the big man, "So what you're telling me is I have been chosen by Andrus?" They both nodded and I shook my head. "There is no record of a female being marked by Andrus. It's got to be a mistake." "Tis no mistake lass," Batair told me. "He chose ye, and ye I will be draggin' back with me by the hair if I have to."

"Great, I get to pack up my shit and just drop everything," I asked them. "Ye shouldn't be fightin' in the streets anyways. There's no honor there lass," He said with a nod. "I don't care about me honor," I said mockingly. "I care about money to survive with," I said next, dropping the fake Scottish accent. "And you will have it," High Priestess Sonya rushed out to say to stop my glaring contest with Batair. "You will be assigned a mentor and they have to give you an allowance of a thousand dollars each week. Room, food, and things for your classes will be provided. The money is during your free time to spend to keep yourself occupied. We learned a long time ago what students will do when bored and have no money to spend."

I sighed, knowing there would be no way out, "Let's just get this over with." Batair stood, "That's the spirit lass." He came over and grasped left bicep. It felt like he lit it on fire. When he removed his hand the warrior tribal mark of three swords behind a shield was there. I then felt a moment of dizziness but I regained my balance.

"Impressive. Most would be on their asses or out like a light as they receive their gifts," Batair said as he studied me. "I'm not like most people. Now give me a moment to pack my things," I told them before going into my room. I grabbed my duffel bag from under my bed. I then went to my closet and pulled down the box of cash I had. I took the roll of hundreds I had earned tonight out of my pocket and added it to the box before putting it in the bag. I then packed my clothes and the photo of my mom before declaring I was ready. I didn't have much to my name, never staying in one place for too long. Staying at the Academy was definitely going to be different.

Ready, I left my room and found the waiting by the door. I watched High Priestess Sonya take a purple key and watched as it sunk into my front door. I was dumbfounded when I watched the crappy wooden door that had paint peeling on it, turn into an oak door with intricate carvings into it.

"Welcome to the Academy of The Gods Cleo Norse," High Priestess Sonya said as she opened the door.